30 mil LLDPE LINER?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
HAS anybody used, or familiar with 30 mil LLDPE (linear low density poly ethylene liners)? i just bought one and am going to redo my pond. i'm hoping to be able to do the pond the way i want in a couple years so it hopefully need only last a couple, maybe 3 years. it hasnt arrived yet but from what i've read it out preforms pvc liners.
but at $121.00 for a 20'x 20'...i thought i would give it a shot.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great price and is that similar to the signs they put up .Where did you get it as I meant the couple that I gave my fish to and they are looking for a stream liner and asked me and all I could think of was the pvc ones at lowes that are local and cheap or rubber roofing which is not so cheap or the sign board stuff ..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I looked it up because it sounded familiar that is the stuff they put on the bottom of my floor joists to hold up the insulation to keep it up and keep it from ever absorbing dampness from the basement .It is also cold and uv resistant .The stuff under my house is 30 mil I can still read the printing on it .I just went in the basement before and looked at the printing .They used it to water proof the basement also ,first insulation board then dimple board then the membrane .I still have a roll in the rafters of the basement ,not sure how much is on it thought ,I have to get the ladder to get up there to get it .I can see it from only the bottom side of the roll . :question:I tried to use a 2x4 to knock it out but that was a waste of time .tried to get a pic of it

Attachments

• 2013 house 027.JPG
    2013 house 027.JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 326

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
i cut a small opening in the wrapping, felt the liner... it's quite stiff... I'm beginning to think that this was not the best choice . it will have to sit unrolled out in the sun to bake for a while. minimal , an hour or so.in 80* + and a hot sun to soften it up. i'm reasonably sure this isnt going to be a liner i would recommend!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The stuff on my floor joists is very stiff also ,I pulled the roll down after some fighting to get it down from all the metal up there and it is heavy and stiff .I thought maybe it was from being up there for 10 years .Still not sure how much is on the roll because I don't want to unroll it and then have to roll it up .Gonna cut a piece off and put it out in the sun .Mine has a light texture to one side and smooth on the other side .I wonder which side would be up .Gonna put it out on the blacktop to heat up .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Hmmm Never heard of it, I wonder if it's the same stuff they use for Billboards on the highway, I know that stuff is around 30+mil and very hardy. Yeah when I got my 45mil EPDM for my pond last winter I had to fight it to get it the way I wanted lol

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well it was hard to cut but after laying in the driveway it got more flexable so mabe it will be ok after all .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
thats around the size I need and not sure what is on this roll .I know it is not 25 feet wide though .

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
45 mil EPDM is heavy but highly flexible. this LLDPE is stiffer, more rigid. i have a 45 mil liner in my pond now, and a pvc liner in my basement pond. this will be harder than either to work with. likely quite a bit harder.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I think this would have gotten more flexable laid out on the driveway if it had not gotten cloudy out .Never did rain though just cloudy .Have to try again .I did order free samples of the stuff ,well actually my son did saying he is a contractor and wanted to see if it was good for a project he wanted to do for a customer .4 different samples I think and he had them mailed to him and will send them to me .Then I can see if they are the same as what i have .I looked for samples and maybe they are out there somewhere

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just got an e mail back from one of the companies I contacted and they said it is stiff and works fine for large ponds with a gradual slope into the pond but not for straight sided ponds .They also said that the 20 mil they sell is close to the same but not as stiff and can be used also for smaller ponds .They also stated that it is not as strong but it is still uv resistent but also stated at the end of there letter that there are no garantees on the products durability in long term use . I guess it would really depend you .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My ppl liner was stiff, but it went into the pond without issues. We did have a nice hot sunny day to lay it out. I like the stuff, it is really tough. You can walk on it a lot easier than epdm, it never gets that like ice slickness that epdm gets.

Ask a Question