4" inch concrete block

KnH

Reaction score
Country
United States
We are moving to a new house in a couple of months and I am in the planning stages of a 20'x8'x4' dry stack block pond
I have read a lot of threads of people using the 8"x8"x16" block, but I have not seen anyone using the 4"x8"x16" blocks
any thoughts on using the narrower 4" blocks instead of the standard 8" blocks.

I and thinking of using a bog filter separated and coming off the sides of the main pond
they would be 2'x2'x15'. If I used the standard 8" blocks it would only leave 8" in the center for plants
If I used the 4" blocks I would have 16" for plants.
Any thoughts?or suggestions

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
4" block would work for the below ground portion, but 8" (reinforced) would be the most secure and stable size for the above ground portion.
16" is hardly wide enough to accommodate most marginal plantings. The "bog" could easily become root-bound in only one growing season.
What is your geographical location?

KnH

Reaction score
Country
United States
My area is rated zone 7b, but with the weather being what it is this year zone 8

I was thinking of areas for water lilies, dwarf canna and dwarf rose mallow.

I would have thought that using 8” block in the main pond and 4” block for the winged areas.

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My pond is half above and half below ground with 3 rows of the bigger block filled with clay soil and rebar and has a cap block of the 4 inch thick block on the top but it is also surrounded by retaining wall block with river rock and insulation panels .My pond is 12 wide by 25 feet long by just over 4 feet deep .If I fill it with water to the top line it is deeper .I used no cement in my block ,but the retaining wall block holds everything in place the 4 inch block would not be stable enough on it's own

KnH

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies, what's the minimum width for water lilies

KnH

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was hoping that they would just spread out and fill in along the length 15'

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I trim mine a little the one I have is in a 4x4 lily pond that is just over 2 feet deep .Never had a problem with it over growing it and i put some water hyacinth in with it this year and it has been in there since 2014 .Hyacinth took it over after lily stopped blooming
100_9126.JPG
100_9126.JPG
100_6962.JPG
100_6962.JPG
100_7236.JPG

Reaction score
That is a huge dry stacked pond. There is a special type of block that is used for foundations. No mortar is needed between the blocks. They are coated on the inside to hold them together.You will need to mortar them to keep them from falling over and you will have to build them on a foundation to keep them from falling over . You should also do something to hide the blocks like plant vines. No offense intended but this is huge and to me it would look like a shipping container was dropped off . My pond store has something like this that is used to breed fish. It's not meant to look nice and it lives up to that. You will need a liner and the liner has to be secured somehow. The pond store simply has it sitting on the top of the wall.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My liner has only a 2x12 fr the top and it was simple to and block is filled with clay and some rebar is pounded into it .Any pond can look nice

Ask a Question