4" koi with odd behaviors..

lindsayanng

Umm yea... confused
Reaction score
So just a day or so ago I added a new butterfly koi that is about 10-11" There is a small white koi that is about 4" (definitely not adult or full grown) and he is not a butterfly.

Now, I know that regular and butterfly kois can mate.. but how young do they start?

The reason I ask is that i swear it looks like the little guy is fluttering and showing off. He swims around quietly and then all of a sudden will stop and sit in one place but flutter his fins and his tail rapidly.

I have had chiclid fish that mated and had babies and it looks JUST like when they were mating.. But i just feel like he is too young to do this.. Is it possible that he could be in a forced mate because he might have been inbred or overbred? Or possibly have some steroid added to produce nicer looking fish?

Or is this just normal koi behavior?

Its definitely NOT flashing, although at first I thought it might be.. but its not> Hes not rubbing against anything.

Otherwise he seems fine. Swimming normally most of the time, no hovering near the top and not super sluggihs

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I am sure they could mate ,,when my koi mix it up there is no ??? maybe he is just getting use to the new fish...

Reaction score
the little guy is too young still IMO

when i added a big koi my little ones rubbed up against it and jockied for position. no breeding i think they were just checking it out. cause it stopped after a couple of hours

Ask a Question