a feast for my koi

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
the term mule is because the hybrids are sterile, they can live long happy lives but cannot reproduce, perfect for a smaller pond or people who dont wish to breed and/or overpopulate their pond.

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Call'em what you want, they are quite colorful and are the perfect size for my smaller pond. They seem to have the same gentle temperment as Koi when they aren't spooked, and a prediters intended next meal.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
NOT SHUBUNKINS...as far as i know they arent mules, i said in a earlier post that in the spawning frenzy maybe i'll get some hybrids.. and a couple people posted on that... he should of posted the quote. to my knowledge shubunkins can reproduce.

Reaction score
I'm just curious, do any of the members here breed Koi selectively or is it all just happen-stance? Has anyone had their koi fry turn into something special or does it take selective breeding to do so? Don't take this the wrong way, I am just curious about Koi genetics and if two of the same patterned koi parents inevitably produce offspring of the same type, or if you still get a rainbow mix?

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
nc0gnet0 said:
I'm just curious, do any of the members here breed Koi selectively or is it all just happen-stance? Has anyone had their koi fry turn into something special or does it take selective breeding to do so? Don't take this the wrong way, I am just curious about Koi genetics and if two of the same patterned koi parents inevitably produce offspring of the same type, or if you still get a rainbow mix?

My breeding stock are kohaku, sanke and platinum ogon. I have traditionally gotten a mix that has included a lot of varieties that don't look anything like them. I think that a lot of Koi have been inbred for so long that the offspring can't be predicted. I'm sure that some breeders that have pairs that are known for their fry to look like them and they keep them isolated from the others. Most of us don't have the room to do this. I know with the water rationing here, my expansion plans are on hold.

Ask a Question