A few creature questions

DutchMuch

Lord Of The Aquascapes!
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you want to go from a 400 gallon pond, to a pond half the size of a soccer field (professional field) than your making a BIG investment of around 15k at least. If your doing this for a simple school project and nothing permanent, I would do a diagram of a pond or a 3D model. Something rather than actually making one but would make a hell of a presentation. I love the enthusiasm involved in this project however. But for a school project, it is not the best choice.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I have that all under control, it's actually a school project.

I was thinking primarily of liability. Is the school willing to shoulder the legal liability if someone is injured by falling into the pond. whether by accident or on purpose. I can think of nothing worse than building this project only to be told at some future date that it has to be eliminated.
Double check on the school's position concerning liability.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I was thinking primarily of liability. Is the school willing to shoulder the legal liability if someone is injured by falling into the pond. whether by accident or on purpose. I can think of nothing worse than building this project only to be told at some future date that it has to be eliminated.
Double check on the school's position concerning liability.
I'm thinking it's a paper on how to build and maintain a pond in which case i guess people will still be willing to provide knowledge and expertise. If they are letting Jonathan design, plan, and oversee the building and stocking of the pond it's a very progressive school and applaud them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
You also need to think about maintenance. Depending how built etc could be a simple 15 mins a week up to 30. Or it could be hours a week or 30 mins daily.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'm thinking it's a paper on how to build and maintain a pond in which case i guess people will still be willing to provide knowledge and expertise. If they are letting Jonathan design, plan, and oversee the building and stocking of the pond it's a very progressive school and applaud them.
It's not supposed to be a paper on how to build a pond it's supposed to be an actual pond. I can just give up but I've already put a lot of time into it so I don't it to go to waste but I have other projects I can do anyways.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
If you want to go from a 400 gallon pond, to a pond half the size of a soccer field (professional field) than your making a BIG investment of around 15k at least. If your doing this for a simple school project and nothing permanent, I would do a diagram of a pond or a 3D model. Something rather than actually making one but would make a hell of a presentation. I love the enthusiasm involved in this project however. But for a school project, it is not the best choice.
I was saying I wish I could do a pond that big, but I'm not.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It's not supposed to be a paper on how to build a pond it's supposed to be an actual pond. I can just give up but I've already put a lot of time into it so I don't it to go to waste but I have other projects I can do anyways.

Don't give up. Never give up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@Jonathon Little miss information and mis reading some thought it was a project/report /eassay. Now that those who have read the whole thread know its a "live" thing we can help. hell for a paper i am sure we would help.

Never give up / never surrender man. I hope it works out for future students to enjoy.

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Jonathon . I was rude and I am sorry. I'd like to apologize to you and the other members.

You haven't really discussed budget. I am building a 500 gallon pond and will be more than happy to share my expenses if you are interested.

Regarding rocks: you can put rocks in the pond but a lot of people don't. If you don't have a lot of pond experience than I would recommend that you don't. You can use rocks or bricks or almost anything made of concrete or stone to go around the outside of your pond.

Bog filter: you do use rocks in that. @addy1 wrote a great article on it and is a sticky. My pond will have the wall in the pond like one of the designs she posted in the thread.

Because you live in San Diego you can have your pond in ground, above ground, or a little of both. If the area is subject to flooding it should be raised a few inches above the highest it can flood. Above ground adds more cost to the landscaping and walls.

You can keep fish other than goldfish if they are about the same size but you want to check with other peopl that keep those kind of fish to know the requirements and compatibility. I have a friend who keeps native fish, blue gills and dace in a pond. most of the people here keep goldfish or koi, or both as well as turtles and frogs and other creatures like crawfish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Also you or school needs to look in to local code. X deep water needs a fence around it in some places. I would have needed one if my yard was not fence in.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And sorry excuse my want for so many creatures haha. If I could I would build a pond the size of about half a soccer field, or we big we possible, but I got a liner getting donated so I can't make one big. I guess I just always wanted a big pond where I can put whatever fish I want in it haha.
Well, this is a great opportunity for learning and having fun! I figured you were young -- so much enthusiasm, tinged with impatience, LOL! Not a bad thing.

Ask a Question