a few pics

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
PTDC0002.JPGPTDC0003.JPGPTDC0004.JPGPTDC0005.JPGPTDC0006.JPGPTDC0007.JPGPTDC0008.JPGPTDC0009.JPGPTDC0001.JPG
as usual i apologize for the poor quality ...

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
great pics and noticed your new pic and healthy looks like it is working for you congrats .

Reaction score
Beautiful -- how big is your pond? Looks so nice and healthy. Are your plants in pots?

I was always told that the abundance of fry meant that the pond was healthy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I love all the black and white marked koi.

How do you keep the number of fish in your pond under control? Even with a huge pond I would think at some point you would need to thin the herd so to speak.

Reaction score
Country
United States
yea, I think I read he has a pretty big pond in his basement (still trying to get familiar with everyone here) Wasn't sure if that was just for quarantine and such. I have never had koi but I think they are beautiful. Their size amazes me.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Carolyn22 said:
Beautiful -- how big is your pond? Looks so nice and healthy. Are your plants in pots?

I was always told that the abundance of fry meant that the pond was healthy.
the pond is 1200 gals... 11' x 15' x 28" roughly egg shaped. 70 gal DIY waterfall filter, 2150 gph pump. plants are in pots. with river rock, no soil. so they feed directly off the nutrients in water. yes, i believe my pond is quite healthy. i have never had to treat for any illness, parasites,fungus, etc..

and yes, i breed and sell koi, every year.. the fry in these pics will be sold next year. and yes i have a wintering pond in my basement. this allows my fish to be fed thru the long winters here in michigan. this keeps them social, and keeps them from going thru the "springtime" health issues.

I decided to post a video i shot today as well....

and heres a link to my basement pond set up.... https://www.gardenpondforum.com/topic/10564-a-few-fish-pics-a-look-at-my-simple-but-effective-basement-pond-setup/ theres some videos here as well

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bettasngoldfish said:
very nice set up which makes for some very nice and spoiled fish ;)

thanks. as far as the basement wintering pond, i just cant keep my kids out in the cold!... its as nice as it needs to be. i could have made it fancier, i didnt even trim the liner. i want it intact. so it can be used elsewhere in the future, should the need or want arise.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like a plan to me. I would love to have a set up like yours :cool:

This will be the first winter I am leaving my fish outside and I know I am going to be worried about them (that might be a bit of an understatement) They are just getting too big to bring in anymore. I don't have a basement or even a garage they can be moved to. I am going to do my best and hope they are all alive when spring gets here.

Ask a Question