a few early morning, gloomy, overcast, hot, and muggy pond pics.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
to overcast to get fish pics ..but for those of you who arent totally sick of seeing my pond pics...feel free to look, comment, (good or bad), laugh at, or just plain ignore them and post your own!! and stop whining about it!.....lol
SANY1862.jpg

SANY1863.jpg

SANY1864.jpg

SANY1865.jpg

SANY1866.jpg

SANY1867.jpg

SANY1868.jpg

CE..moving water and full sun keep my hyacinths like this..located the rings near the waterfall so the undercurrent hits those roots.
the large ring is 55" in diameter. the smaller is 28"...

Reaction score
Koiguy, those water hyacinth definitely look a lot better than the ones in my pond, I think there's more to your healthy looking hayacinth than just the moving water. Try tossing a few at the far end of the pond (away from the current) and report back how they are doing compared to the ones in the ring.
Do you have a water test kit, can you test for ph and nitrate levels? I'd like to compare water chemistry to see if there's anything I can do to get mine to stop turning yellow in the pond and get them as green as yours. (Some of mine are next to the waterfall also)
My last pond I had no problem with them turning yellow I just assumed green, health water hyacinth's was a given.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
0 AMMONIA , 0 NITRITES, 0 NITRATES IS THE READING....7.6 PH ... i dont test very often. used to test 2x a week..my parameters havent varied anything significant in years. the water from the waterfall is right from the filter. it contains the highest concentration of nitrates. being that nitrates are the final product of a bio filter. thats why they do even better in the top of the filter. once dumped back into the pond, nutrients get diluted in the large volume of water. in the filter and close to the return point in the pond, will supply the most nutrients to their roots. and they dont have to search out the nutrients. they are constantly fed them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Your water hyacinth looks awesome koiguy! I threw some into my pond a month ago and all it did was die. Pretty sure the fish did it. Never get sick of seeing everyone's pond pics!

Neo

Nick
Reaction score
You're making me want water hyacinths again, I didn't get any this year but I may make a trip to buy some this weekend.

Reaction score
0 AMMONIA , 0 NITRITES, 0 NITRATES IS THE READING....7.6 PH ... i dont test very often. used to test 2x a week..my parameters havent varied anything significant in years. the water from the waterfall is right from the filter. it contains the highest concentration of nitrates. being that nitrates are the final product of a bio filter. thats why they do even better in the top of the filter. once dumped back into the pond, nutrients get diluted in the large volume of water. in the filter and close to the return point in the pond, will supply the most nutrients to their roots. and they dont have to search out the nutrients. they are constantly fed them.
So your nitrate level is not actually 0 then? What is the lowest level your test method shows?
I also have low levels of nitrates in my pond (< 5), but only my water hyacinth are turning yellow, and it doesn't seem to mater if they are close to the waterfall. or next to the shore on the other side.
Your other readings are the same as my pond.
How about general water hardness GH, do you have a test for that?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great pictures! never get tired of looking at others ponds. I just looked at mine, all you see are lily leaves, at least they are keeping the pond cooler with the heat we are having.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Mucky...i dont know the tolerances on the tests...maybe next time i'll have the filter water tested. i have my water tested at a pond/aquarium shop. by a freind.. they have a small lab setup.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mucky, Hyacinths prefer a slow moving water, but they also like to be grouped closely together. When they start yellowing there is usually something IN the water that is effecting them, That or hot dry heat. ANY medication can make them yellow, some micro additives, all sorts of things. I've seen whole areas where a groupd of Hyacinths turned yellow and right across the Bayou there would be a group in full bloom and simply breath taking. I, have a unlimted supply to wild grown hyacinths and some years they do great, some they don't do anything. this year I've killed them twice, So I quit, year before last i had single plants that were close to 2' acroos. Same thing with Water lettuce. This year only one tub has decent size Water lettuce heads, last year I had hundreds and some were HUGE. I really think 90% of the problem with mine is a light and heat issue. I doubt water condittions are the problem, but chemical additives could be.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
Plants and grasses look awesome, pond looks great too BUT I can sure tell it was "man - scaped" (women would have more flowers) :) :)
theres actually 3 clumps of yellow iris, and 8 or 9 clumps of daylillies ( yellow ,orange, and orange/red combos) most are just out of shot, the ones in shot are just starting their second blooming. and the lillies...at times lots of color.. but yeah, you gals love the flowers.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Looks good up there ! Koi Guy
The state wont let us buy hyacinths anymore

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How did you make your ring so that your koi can't eat the roots? Out of boredom the boys and I went to the pond store to look at fish today. I told her my koi ate my WH roots and they all died, and she gave me new plants. Wasn't expecting that. So for now I put them in a tub with water and sprinkled some Osmocote in there. Hoping that is good enough since I don't have any miracle grow around the house. But I need to do something so they can go back in the pond.

Ask a Question