a few pond pictures

Reaction score
Thank you Amber, yes I use mosquito dunks in it. I hate mosquito's also, doesn't matter much they are here regardless, some years worse then others

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Marla, can we see some pics of your Koi? I would also like to see what the pond looks like now, I know you should just be starting to get some plant growth or is it still a little early yet?. I can see one large koi in one of the pics. I have to say your pond really is mesmerizing

Reaction score
fishin4cars
have to work this morning but will look for some pics after. The koi in the pic. is Taco our largest male. A few things are starting to green up in the ponds but not much yet....woke up to an inch of snow on the ground and it's still snowing :cold::fish:

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
me too Marla... coming down pretty hard here. my guys have no idea how good they've got it!! they have yet to miss a meal or spend 1 minute in water under 55*f

***just took these pics***

Attachments

• SDC11073.jpg
    SDC11073.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 273
  • SDC11074.JPG
    SDC11074.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 242

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
All I can say is "El Bummer" to the snow...................and I do love snow but come on..........bring me the warmth of some Spring sunshine pleeeeeeeeeeeeeez! Fortunately we didn't get any like they said we might but it's still foolishly chilly :bouncycig:

Reaction score
Koiguy....looked about like that, but when I got out of work this afternoon it was all gone, that is the good thing about snow this time of the year. So as per request, don't ask me why here are some pond pics the two big ones and the lotus from today for fishin4cars and I also snapped some of the fish, easier then trying to look through everything I have...pklease excuse the winter algae growth I don't do anything about it this early as it gives the fish something to eat. We had lots of babies last year also they did grow a little over the winter, I will keep a few and the rest will find new homes.

Attachments

• April 2011 047.jpg
    April 2011 047.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 252
  • April 2011 048.jpg
    April 2011 048.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 297
  • April 2011 040.jpg
    April 2011 040.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 282
  • April 2011 028.jpg
    April 2011 028.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 303
  • April 2011 029.jpg
    April 2011 029.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 317
Reaction score
a few more fish ones....

Attachments

• April 2011 031.jpg
    April 2011 031.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 265
  • April 2011 034.jpg
    April 2011 034.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 229
  • April 2011 052.jpg
    April 2011 052.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 246

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Thank you! Wow love some of the babies! nice Shubunkins and big guys too. That Kujaku and Sanke are really nice! I don't know, seeing a pond in it's winter state and seeing it in full bloom has always intrigued me. It looks so different yet you can see where everything is suppose to be. The string over the pond, predator protection I'm assuming. Is it working for you? I do appreciate the pictures very much. Really love your place!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Your pond is really beautiful Marla!! The babies are so cute!! I ordered some lotus seeds today, I sure hope they survive my handling and turn out like yours, absolutely beautiful!!

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Thank you! Wow love some of the babies! nice Shubunkins and big guys too. That Kujaku and Sanke are really nice! I don't know, seeing a pond in it's winter state and seeing it in full bloom has always intrigued me. It looks so different yet you can see where everything is suppose to be. The string over the pond, predator protection I'm assuming. Is it working for you? I do appreciate the pictures very much. Really love your place!!!

NP, I know others that like to see the contrast in seasons also. Yes it was a quick fix with baler twine when the ice melted and till I could get the nets up...I have some old ones on top but need to get the new ones up. It is the only thing that works here for the heron, we have tried many things...not sure I would use just crossing string to protect the fish I feel much safer with the nets and have grown use to seeing past and through them. We live in an area with many protected marshlands that the heron frequent, usually once summer is here they know they can't get in and have their fishing grounds staked out. I could maybe leave them off but I don't want to chance it when I'm not home.

Reaction score
riparks said:
Your pond is really beautiful Marla!! The babies are so cute!! I ordered some lotus seeds today, I sure hope they survive my handling and turn out like yours, absolutely beautiful!!

TY riparks...nick the seeds good with a file or knife...put them in a glass of warm water for a few days till they sprout. I did some once in the aquarium. Once it gets a pad on it plant it...I put mine in planters with the pellet dirt that comes in those peat pots...make sure you use ROUND not square pots, lotus roots grow circular and if in a square pot the roots will get stuck in a corner and they will die. Good luck they are not easy to grow from seed.....most of mine died. Keep a photo diary and post it here, it will be fun to watch.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful fish, beautiful ponds and beautiful property....................it does sound like Heaven to me B)

Reaction score
j.w said:
Beautiful fish, beautiful ponds and beautiful property....................it does sound like Heaven to me B)

J.W,

Could not have said it better myself..LOL Come on spring!

Reaction score
Marla,

My god how did you get that lotus that far along outside - Is it planted in the pond bottom or a pot? I see you live on the other side of the big lake from me been way to cold here for mine to grow much..Nice job!

Ask a Question