a few pond pictures

Reaction score
Pond Boy said:
Marla,

My god how did you get that lotus that far along outside - Is it planted in the pond bottom or a pot? I see you live on the other side of the big lake from me been way to cold here for mine to grow much..Nice job!

I dug that lotus pond in 09, it is 3ft deep, liner in, dirt back in, lotus on top, pea gravel on top of that. The lotus took a while to grow, but last year it was beautiful. Hoping for the same this year....I didn't do anything special to it over the winter. The lotus in there is an unknown that was sent to me at shipping cost by a forum friend. If it grows this year, next spring maybe I could dig around an see if I can come up with a tuber for you. The other lotus I have in large pots, those I bring in for the winter and put in the basement.

Again thank you all for all your nice comments, means a lot to me.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So the lotus pond is kind of El Naturale and would it be ok to put a few small goldfish in there w/o a filter or would they die in there?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
j.w said:
So the lotus pond is kind of El Naturale and would it be ok to put a few small goldfish in there w/o a filter or would they die in there?
A lot of people put a few goldies in their lotus / lily pond to control the mosquitoes jw, so they should do ok. This is without filtration, etc.

and they don't eat as many plants as koi do!

fish35.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Just thinking about making up some tubs w/ lilies or whatever and thought I might be able to get away w/ adding just a few goldies as you said addy to rid the thing of skeeters. I did have some in my bathtub pond but it had an air stone and a bubbler in it but no filter. I have a bunch of Flourite (clay gravel) left from my aquarium that leaked and wonder if that would work for a growing medium?

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't see why now jw. And it is aged with fish poop. I am going to redesign one of my carnivorous bogs, take the 300 gallon rubber maid tank and convert it to a lotus tank. (sigh more work, full of dirt and peat moss now) Just picked up 6 tubers from a friend, the large plant ones. Will have to put lil fish in it to control the darn wigglers.

Reaction score
j.w said:

I don't thinks they would do well as the water level above the stones is maybe only 5"-6" I think....and if it doesn't rain even lower. I have a whiskey barrell with a liner that once had a lotus in that died I was going to add just some lilies this year and maybe throw in some goldfish babies or some mosquito fish or guppies...they like mosquitos larva also so do Clown Loaches...just have to take them in in the winter.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I've had clown loaches in my indoor aquarium and I loved those fish. I had a log in there sitting vertical w/ the hole on top and two of them would sleep together nose down every night next to each other. Then they would lay on their sides on the bottom of the aquarium floor and look dead. They really were clowns :(

Reaction score
thanks rebelangel....as long as it is beautiful to you and you get pleasure from it, that is the only thing that counts....I think all ponds small or large are beautiful, both with and without flowing waterfalls. So far you have done a fabulous job!!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you wish to see mine, rebelangel, click the link in my sig, it is my build in progress and still in progress.

Ask a Question