A girl all alone, I need all the help I can get!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Tonia you can make very good filters from Blue chemical barrels however to be brutally honest with you I dont think the liner is going to last the course not if its slitting at the top already .
Another way to do this would be as some of the others do using large free standing stock tanks :-

http://www.globalindustrial.com/c/storage/bins-totes-containers/stocktanks

The largest of which are up to 650 gallons US we ourselves use a 1,000 Imperial welded plastic former koi Qaurentine tank retrofitted into a pond and our koi are quite happy in it even our oldest koi who is now 30 years old we also have three vortex style welded plastic filters and a fourth filter made from a large chemical barrel after the fourth welded plastic filter developed a leak
I know its not what your dream is ut you could learn our hobby from a stock tank then move on to a butyl liner when you can afford to using yourthen stock tank pond as a QT tank
With the chemical barrels you could string three or four together using pipe work [making sure you have the right ones for the job .
When making a pond especially out of liner cheap isnt the best of options , look a it this way if its splitting now how long before it splits bellow the waterline ?
Butyl liners are the best way forwards if you want to use a liner [with a 20 - 30 year life span], however they do not come cheap sadly:( :-

http://www.everything-ponds.com/rubber-pond-liners.html

I hope this helps you :happy:

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a ish!
Country
United Kingdom
Has the liner been in the unfilled pond and exposed to the sun for the two years please? I always thought that liners degrade when left like this. It may already have holes as is looks as though it's been used before...possibly? I hope you can solve your problem and wish you all the best :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What is that liner .Looks like a swimming pool liner and if you have holes already then it may not last and you may get it filled to find it empty after awhile .All the work and money for nothing but a headache .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Agree about the liner. Not a place you want to skimp. Dont forget to make a place to be able to get in and out of the pond easily. Dig steps if you will. Those liners get very slippery after awhile. :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If it indeed is a pool liner those were made to be put on top of sand base .

Reaction score
Country
United States
Has the liner been in the unfilled pond and exposed to the sun for the two years please? I always thought that liners degrade when left like this. It may already have holes as is looks as though it's been used before...possibly? I hope you can solve your problem and wish you all the best :)
The pond is in the shade almost completely but yes it has holes because it is a pool liner and not butyl Thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Can smeone post a link to a proper pond liner? Its not my thing, but I see Tonia not doing anything more till the proper liner is installed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
First of all I am so jealous of all these massive ponds people on here seem to have. I am a fish keeping novice but this is a big project and its simply unworkable in its current state with that liner. I have to think that you should go down the stock tank option. Any cost at this stage should be viewed as an investment, because that pond will turn into a money pit if the foundations of a successful project are not put in place now. Best of luck and enjoy

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Thats what terrifies me about building a big pond. Its not the hole, or the asthetics...its doing it right to start....the liner, levelling, pumps, filters, skimmers, balancing...it all seems sooo very daunting. And so beyond the level of a novice without some professional, hands on advice.

Ask a Question