j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just read online that koi fish are very interested in eating the tiny fry even if they don't eat the eggs. So maybe if any hatch your koi will nab them. Maybe next time put a spawning mop in there and that way you can just lift if out and get rid of the eggs easier. https://www.itsafishthing.com/how-to-care-for-koi-eggs/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Mine still haven't spawned this year, quite odd. Don't get me wrong.....I'd be thrilled !

It is hard to find homes for all the babies. I used to know some people that always took them, but that changed over time. One year I had no takers on Craigslist.....probably as there were so many being offered and there were bigger and prettier ones then mine. Out of desperation I called one of my favorite nurseries that has a big pond on their property. They have an indoor koi pond, so knew they were interested in fish. Fortunately they allow me to release my off spring - whew !

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@addy1 - new business venture! Rent-a-Snake!

Sending your way! this is lil snakey, fish about 2 inches, at least it could eat the dark ones.............geez

IMG_4230.JPG
IMG_4234.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I have a snake near the other pond....I don't even want to know if it eats my fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Think it's time to rehome snakey!
yeah but how would you catch a snake that is living in a rough and tumble pond full of rocks crevices and plenty of places to hide.
And the second it sees me..................gone!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Yes, it needs to learn not to eat the pretty ones - LOL !

I honestly have no idea how you'd remove a snake from your large pond and bog, with so many plants and wild life. I did see a You Tube video once that showed a trap half in and half out of water with an egg as bait. The snake goes in for the egg and can't get out. It needs to be only half in the water so the snake doesn't drown. Honestly it seems like you could catch any number of creatures in such a trap.......but maybe you could google that video .

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And they dive under the water and can stay there for over a hour waiting for you to go away................

per a site on the net:

They eat dead or alive, so will help keep the pond dead fish clean! so there is a benefit...

Contrary to popular belief, northern water snakes are quite beneficial to fish populations. They feed on diseased and dying fish and help to control areas where overpopulation may exist and could stunt fish growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My father was a hunter and we ate venison. He once told me that properly overseen hunting benefitted the herd population, in that they won't over populate , experience food shortage and become weakened and sick. Sounds kind of like the water snake info.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
yep we will see. Right now we have a friendly relationship. I do have ton of fish, Babies survive every year. Now I have population control.
I have a forest of ancharis this year, just a bit of hornwort. But that forest makes it easy for the fish to spawn and the fry survive.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Today the eggs look tripled in size. Some are clear and nice and round but still no fish would eat them. It is very odd to not seeing my fish clean the stones around the pond...we'll see what happens

Ask a Question