j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think if any babies sprout from those eggs, they will be sushi in the mouths of those koi. Guess we wait and see!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Maybe they wanna be moms and dads..................
Maybe they should start looking for a new home!
Feeling laughing.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
It might seem counterintuitive to add fish, but maybe get a comet or two. Mine spend all day hunting for food in all the nooks and cranies around the pond. Most of the eggs are eaten in 1-2 days and I have not had any fry survive yet. I think once the Koi get bigger they can't always get to the smaller eggs/fry. That and maybe they just want something bigger to eat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
So today we drained the pond to catch 10 koi to be rehomed, and our fear came true...we spotted 6 babies zipping around, 4 yellow and 2 olive...there could be hundreds more that we didn't see
smohnooo.gif

@TJeep_1999 I do have 2 shubunkin in there

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Oh, @Gemma , I so hear you! We had our first significant spawning in years earlier this Summer. We're now finding lots of little (adorable!) little fry swimming around. Next Spring we will definitely be having to do a drain & cull. Sigh.
the dumplings 01.jpg
fish 02.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
So today we drained the pond to catch 10 koi to be rehomed, and our fear came true...we spotted 6 babies zipping around, 4 yellow and 2 olive...there could be hundreds more that we didn't seeView attachment 141353

@TJeep_1999 I do have 2 shubunkin in there
Glad you were able to catch the 10 koi you wanted to rehome :). Ugh on finding babies :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok, I have to admit I could've sent the 6 lil fellas along with the 10 adults I rehomed, but I'm curious what they turn out to look like so I decided not to

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Glad you were able to catch the 10 koi you wanted to rehome :). Ugh on finding babies :(
Actually once there was less than 2' of water, catching the koi was a breeze. I used a huge round flat net to guide them into the sock net , no chasing, no stressing, very easy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I seem to have a population of water snakes here this year. Shall I send you one?!!! And I hope to be getting fish next year, but due to the snakes, I’m thinking I’d better start them inside in my mini pond, grow them out to 6+ inches long, not including tail. So I’ll have to either over crowd the mini pond, or start with just 2-3. Hmmm, if I build a bigger bog for the mini pond, then it could handle the waste better. My guppies will be crowded in the aquarium, they keep breeding despite my not feeding them often. I suspect the cats drop enough small chunks of food to keep them fat.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I seem to have a population of water snakes here this year. Shall I send you one?!!! And I hope to be getting fish next year, but due to the snakes, I’m thinking I’d better start them inside in my mini pond, grow them out to 6+ inches long, not including tail. So I’ll have to either over crowd the mini pond, or start with just 2-3. Hmmm, if I build a bigger bog for the mini pond, then it could handle the waste better. My guppies will be crowded in the aquarium, they keep breeding despite my not feeding them often. I suspect the cats drop enough small chunks of food to keep them fat.
The bullfrog ate all the babies under 10" that I put in the pond so I'd be very surprised if any of these little guys make it to adulthood
We spotted a couple in the plant pool as well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Frogs, Toads, Rabbits, Mackerel Mice all have one thing in common breed like crazy because they are at the bottom of the food chain and many feast on them so they lay eggs by the millions or breed primarily non stop. if you have massive amounts of egg sacks scoop them out bring them any where or simply use the pond vac to remove them

Ask a Question