A million eggs Hellllp!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The number of babies in the plant pool went up to 5, so now the question is: if the bullfrog doesn't get them, would they be able to winterize in 2' of water or do they stand no chance if I'm forced to stop the pumps?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The number of babies in the plant pool went up to 5, so now the question is: if the bullfrog doesn't get them, would they be able to winterize in 2' of water or do they stand no chance if I'm forced to stop the pumps?
As long as it doesn't freeze too thick, and you add an air stone, I think they stand a chance. You could also erect a small greenhouse type tent over it to help; it's what I do for winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As long as it doesn't freeze too thick, and you add an air stone, I think they stand a chance. You could also erect a small greenhouse type tent over it to help; it's what I do for winter.
Oh that's a great idea, thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I second the small green house idea. It's utterly amazing the effect of the pond being covered on evaporation and cooling!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We might not need to do anything, this morning we watch two of the babies swim over the spill and into the fish pond so there is the chance that all of the others will too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Even not feeding the fish i have at least a dozen babies from this years spawn ugggg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Go somewhere and get you one Bluegill…. Male or female as long as you only have one. They will eat fry…. Leaches…. Mosquito larvae…. Snails, basically anything that moves in the pond that is smaller than it is. And it will join right in eating your koi food. “But remember only get one or you will have a bigger problem than baby koi…. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The babies in the plant pool are now about 4" and very colorful, the ones in the fish pool are half that size, I'm thinking cause they hide in holes most of the time, while the other ones are out, under the lily pads eating all day....I wish I could keep them all!

@Jimmy Gibson Thanks for the advise, but I couldn't possibly introduce a predator on purpose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Don't look at it that way look at it as your feeding a new pet blue gill. Thats why you have millions of eggs its natures way she knows better

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Don't look at it that way look at it as your feeding a new pet blue gill. Thats why you have millions of eggs its natures way she knows better
Lol I wish I could look at it that way

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We might not need to do anything, this morning we watch two of the babies swim over the spill and into the fish pond so there is the chance that all of the others will too

I guess we were subject of "fry prank"!
Yesterday we decided to catch the 3 babies that were swimming in the plant pool to put them with the rest of the fish.
After removing the Lilies, catching the 3 was very easy, but once in the fish pool, the 3 kept on trying to swim up the spill to get back to the plant pool and one actually succeeded.
Which means the 2 that we saw swimming to the fish pool, were only visiting
Feeling laughing4.gif

At this point trying to move them again is useless, they know how to get there and back on their own
You can see the travel path in this pic., the spill is at list a foot drop.

August2021.jpg

Ask a Question