A new idea for an outdoor Livingroom

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
sissy said:
ok that means internet dummy lol and you never admit it .Computers are the future no doubt about it .This is my 3rd puter and been 1995 so I am still an internet dummy myself as internet explorer 9 still confusing

I have no idea anymore how many I have had its easier to say that 9 are in use in this house at this moment. You could restore some of the look from ie8 by unlocking the bars and enabling some of the old style options. But you will be stuck with the tabs on top and favorites on the right as MS locked them in place.

But kicking back in front of your pond is always the way to bring you back to the moment. Though the wife complains about the water noises being right outside the bedroom window and bathroom. Go figure....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I love the water noises, and the frogs, birds, bees.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you could put it on a timer .I have this vista and hate it and a laptop thats a vista too and 2 hps

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
sissy said:
you could put it on a timer .I have this vista and hate it and a laptop thats a vista too and 2 hps

The biggest issue you have is not ie9 its that vista OS. Upgrade to windows 7 and you will be much happier or downgrade to xp either way you will be happier. Its a huge resource hog and when I used it I took advantage of readyboost with a usb flash drive. On the same system when I upgraded to 7 I elimated that card and it was still faster.

Sorry I should of added that I meant the water noises make her constantly in need of the bathroom. I dont think the fish would like the pump going off so my wife would not hear the water LOL. Though I have been thinking about building a water feature in the line of site as we go out french doors in the back yard deck. I have seen solar water pumps on ebay for around 20. Since it would be nothing more then a noise maker being off for hours would not matter. That would easily shut down at nightfall every day, unless you wanted to add a battery to last for a couple more hours at night.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Laughing credes! when you gotta go you gotta go

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
well thank god you don't live near the ocean you can't turn that off .lol

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
Well an interesting new twist in the middle of a city we have raccoons. I am not greatly surprised since I had to deal with them before at another house. But I did not expect to have a mated pair living in a neighbors yard who leaves food outside for his cats to come by with nothing in the pond but a plant and a 4 inch fish to cycle it. But I was raided last night, they ripped apart the plant container and the entire pond is a solid color of brown mud. I also found the thermometer 5 feet away with the bottom broken and what looks like a claw stuck onto it you could see it on the image at the bottom. Luckily no damage was caused to the liner but I have to drain out the pond as you could see in the image to get the worst of the mud out. Now to find a neighbor with an air rifle war has been declared. And if scaring them off does not work off to the humane society to borrow some traps.

Attachments

• 100_4217.jpg
    100_4217.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 247
  • 100_4218.jpg
    100_4218.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 264

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My DH made me some small boards to set around a pot they were getting into. He put staples in it that went through to the other side poking up so that if they stepped on it they would not like it. The staples were only sticking out maybe 1/4" so it would only hurt and not harm them. They stayed away from that pot forever. Cayenne pepper sprinkled around the area might help also but would need to be reapplied after rains. They get it on there feet and then lick them and run off...........eeeeeeeeeeeeeee chihuahua :p

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
j.w said:
My DH made me some small boards to set around a pot they were getting into. He put staples in it that went through to the other side poking up so that if they stepped on it they would not like it. The staples were only sticking out maybe 1/4" so it would only hurt and not harm them. They stayed away from that pot forever. Cayenne pepper sprinkled around the area might help also but would need to be reapplied after rains. They get it on there feet and then lick them and run off...........eeeeeeeeeeeeeee chihuahua :p

Sadly doing wonderful things like that would make me happy but this also server as a coffee table so someone might get poked. I am thinking of netting completely around it and just use pebbles for the roots to be in. Now that is the funniest thing I have heard in a long time but being on a deck might not be so easy perhaps putting it around the deck would work. Dang that would make a great utube video.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Oh my yes a coffee table area would not be a good idea for pokey things sticking up........bad for the toes :lol:Guess you might have to trap them and relocate :bouncycig:

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
j.w said:
Oh my yes a coffee table area would not be a good idea for pokey things sticking up........bad for the toes :lol:Guess you might have to trap them and relocate :bouncycig:

After having several in ground ponds that only serve the purpuse of cosmetic going with a functional use pond seemed more appealing this time around. I'm hoping I might have better luck with shooting one with a pellet gun since it will hurt and scare it away. Seems people have problems sometimes with relocating as raccoons are territorial, when one is moved another will replace it. If scaring them with pain does not work then that will be the next step. But so far I have not seen them return but dealing with the aftermath and almost completely draining the pond there is still so much mud in the water I will probably have to drain it again. Luckily its still in the cycling stage so just one small fish.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
bird netting in lowes is 7.98 here and is in the garden center here and is black I got the bigger one .It was not near any fencing here but outside by garden supplies

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
sissy said:
bird netting in lowes is 7.98 here and is in the garden center here and is black I got the bigger one .It was not near any fencing here but outside by garden supplies

Our local water garden has what we need for abou $12 which was even better then ebay in price. And I was planning on installing that soon but the darn raccoons raided us first. They dont seem to be able to get in the water since its a steep edge with the top going over about 2 inchs. They were more intent on detroying the plants that came out of the water. Oh and scooping out the water thermometer LOL

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
destructive little critters .I hope the foresting they are doing behind my house do not send critters my way .So far I have 2 snakes in my shed and they are not welcome to stay there either lol

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The racoons that have visited have so far just drank from the pond. In arizona we used carpet tack strips glued to the top of our block fence to stop the coyotes from walking it.

All neighbors knew, and no small children that might get stuck. Did stop the coyotes finally.

Ask a Question