sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
those light diffusers were discontinued here in VA lowes or home depot do not sell them here any more and none of the small hardware stores have them either

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
sissy said:
those light diffusers were discontinued here in VA lowes or home depot do not sell them here any more and none of the small hardware stores have them either

We still have them. Strange they would stop selling them as flourscent fixtures are fairly common and the one I am talking about is normally used in businesses. But I know the stores also base merchandise upon demand and we have a lot of warehouse districts since Nevada is a good state for taxes. But always a good thing to use a product thats cheap to repurpose for another use.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
the new flourescent fixtures have built in silver light reflecting grids

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
sissy said:
the new flourescent fixtures have built in silver light reflecting grids

You know I have seen those when I worked for NCR we had just upgraded to something that sounds like that. Luckily we carry just what I need but I want something better for a root base then dirt. I think I may check out one of the shops that deals in hydrophonics.

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Peat moss can cause ph issues, I use only pure clay kitty litter, or pea gravel.

Thank you thats some good advice I know I read elsewhere that cat little helps with something else in the water I think it had to do with the clay.

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
Well I watched an episode of manswers to find out what is better eating and it stated of cats and dogs, dogs were much better since cats were a very stringy meat so I am guessing foxes might fit in that category also. Though let me add I am a cat person.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Credes said:
Thank you thats some good advice I know I read elsewhere that cat little helps with something else in the water I think it had to do with the clay.

koi keepers add clay for the koi. I used a bag in one of my small ponds, our pump broke so it only had 30 minutes of water flow a day for over week. The small pond got some string algae, stuck a bag of kitty litter in the stream where it waterfalled into that pond and it wiped out the string algae. Did not have a huge invasion of the algae, just a little.

The plants seem to like it.

DSC01404.jpg

These lilies are in kitty litter

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
addy1 said:
koi keepers add clay for the koi. I used a bag in one of my small ponds, our pump broke so it only had 30 minutes of water flow a day for over week. The small pond got some string algae, stuck a bag of kitty litter in the stream where it waterfalled into that pond and it wiped out the string algae. Did not have a huge invasion of the algae, just a little.

The plants seem to like it.

DSC01404.jpg

These lilies are in kitty litter

Years back before I grew tired of taking care of salt water tanks I bought a generator for my reef and shark tanks in case of power outages. Luckily I also always had back up pumps. Anything past 8 hours would of been a disaster. But koi are far more tolerant and of course being able to survive outside of water for extended periods by excreting a mucus membrane is a good thing. Those koi are tough suckers no doubt about it. But now I have to buy replacement parts again since when I gave up fish I sold everything even my spare pool pumps and large canister filters. Thats a good idea and I will implement it.

I think I read somewhere maybe it was even your post on another forum that it was special kitty brand, I think it was. I still have some of that mostly now for oil spills on the driveway since we changed brands to the scoop stuff which ends up saving money over the long term and smells better. From an incident when I was younger I am still a little paranoid with cat litter. We had a kitten that fell into a bag when that happened the dust puffed up into its lungs and coated them, it slowly suffocated and there was nothing we could do. So I am going to assume it has to be rinsed thorougly first. One of those things you never think could happen but its no different then the dangers in a grain silo where humans have died.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I never rinsed mine when I put it in the pond water and never had any ill effects on the fish. I suppose it's due to the way the lungs of mammals work opposed to the fishes and that when it's in the water it changes the dust particles covering them w/ moisture. Never heard of anyone else having anything bad happen to their fish using the kitty litter (100% clay type).
So sorry for what happened to your kitty. I know that sometimes when I clean my cat's litter box the dust is there and I try not to breath it. My cats sometimes sneeze while they are in the cat box digging around in it. Prolly not too good for them :bouncycig:

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
j.w said:
I never rinsed mine when I put it in the pond water and never had any ill effects on the fish. I suppose it's due to the way the lungs of mammals work opposed to the fishes and that when it's in the water it changes the dust particles covering them w/ moisture. Never heard of anyone else having anything bad happen to their fish using the kitty litter (100% clay type).
So sorry for what happened to your kitty. I know that sometimes when I clean my cat's litter box the dust is there and I try not to breath it. My cats sometimes sneeze while they are in the cat box digging around in it. Prolly not too good for them :bouncycig:

Probably right since it would remain wet while in the lungs it dries to a concrete in a way blocking the ability in lungs to move air into the bloodstream.

The kitten was playing on a countertop and just fell right into the opening of the bag and the dust just poofed right into his lungs it was sad and it took a while. I tried even getting water into his lungs to maybe flush them but nothing worked. If I had know better I would of used maybe a fish air tube and tried blowing water down but even then all that would of happened would of instead of suffocating on dust he would of drowned. Then again they say thats a more peaceful way to go.

Well I am off to finally pick up that netting to install inside of the pond and no luck on catching those blasted raccoons.

Credes

Raccoon Hunter By Night
Reaction score
Well those pesky raccoons are still hiding but here is a picture of the water feature I rigged up in the center of the pond. Cost me $15 in materials to make a water tight cavity in the center with 4 inch pvc pipe. The planter is commonly sold at home depot for $35 but I stole it from my wife. This was filled up with biological media and well cat litter (Special Kitty) at the suggestion of J.W. to help with algae and for the plant to reside in. And yes this is whats left of the poor plant that those dastardly raccoons ravaged. Soon I will pick up some type of flowering plant that will flow out of the smaller openings around the planter. But as can be seen in the image to the left side is the trap for those sweet little friends of mine. I used a pvc pipe (painted with safe black paint) system I fabricated to give the illusion of a floating water feature, but it also has spots on the left and right that could later have additional plants added. The cord going in please ignore that I am running a sump pump with a ton of filtration to try to clear more of the mud out from the raccoon attack.

Attachments

• 100_4225.jpg
    100_4225.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 244

Ask a Question