A new member

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I suggest you have the edges of the pond raised up a little so you don't get rainwater from your yard flowing into the pond. This will prevent weedkiller, fertilizer, etc from going into it.
Another thing I ended up doing to my pond in the last renovation
Excellent suggestion!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hope this drawing makes a little sense. Make your 10 inch shelf, then a smaller shelf rock high. You could lay rocks on the shallow top shelf which would cover the liner. The water would come half way up the rocks.

pond1.JPG

pond3.JPG
pond2.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2017-10-8_9-31-23.gif
@Welsh gary
Like addy said it is nice if you can't see the edge of the liner in the pond by putting a short ledge down just a few inches for rocks. Then you won't see liner and fish love picking in the cracks between the rocks for goodies.
Here is a few examples of what I did.

IMG_7439.JPG

IMG_6178.JPG

IMG_6050.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Then I have the next ledge down about 18 " and in the top picture I now have the net over pond for predator protection from Herons. Once they discover your pond they will never give up but the net is my saving glory!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Down to minus 5 deg celsius on rate occasions
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks all i never thought about rocks, great idea. My neighbour had fish in his pond and a heron ate almost all of them

IPA

Reaction score
63b Chesapeake-Pamlico Lowlands and Tidal Marshes
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Thanks all i never thought about rocks, great idea. My neighbour had fish in his pond and a heron ate almost all of them
I was told that a 2 foot deep straight drop from either edge of pond or deepest plant shelf is deep enough to prevent heron, (the ones here at least) from being able to fish the bottom making it heron "proof". We also have egrets here and was told 3 feet is needed to protect from them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine is a straight drop of 5 feet, the heron prefers to land in the water, i.e. the shallow parts and stand there waiting for a fish to come and check the area out. The herons here land on the edge of the pond, deep end, on land and wait for a fish to swim by.
The deep end keeps the fish safer, not as easy for the heron to snag one.
My shallow end, the heron if wading causes debris on the bottom to stir up, the fish swim to check it out. When I wade in the pond the fish come instantly to surround my feet looking for snacks. Makes easy pickings for the heron.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The herons here land on the edge of the pond, deep end, on land and wait for a fish to swim by.
Here too! I've also seen videos on youtube where the Heron dives into the water to fish, so I would put netting even over a deep pond

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
W/the net over the pond it doesn't really matter having straight sides or not now for my pond. I have my short rock shelf, then 18" down to shelf, then about 3' straight down to bottom. The net is high up on poles and attaches w/s clips to short wire fence's around the sides. I have battened down the hatches and feel the fish are pretty safe. Now ya know just when you say that there is always something that is stronger and braver that could find away in there.
upload_2017-10-9_9-20-57.gif

IMG_8286.JPG

Ask a Question