A pond with a flow

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I used to have lots of those minnows at one time, and they would jump up my little steams and go to the next pond up. They used to move between ponds by jumping threw the water ways that connected my little ponds years ago. I have changed the ponds over the years and the koi are now much bigger and I think they ate them....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have them in the lotus tub, some in the small preforms, I saw a few in the big pond, not sure if they are still there. See them swimming under the ice, pink little suckers!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Shdwdrgn, my dog had a carp in his mouth yesterday. The only way he could have gotten ahold of one of them was that it jumped out of my farm pond. And, knowing that I found 2 dead in my farm pond 3 years ago, after lots of rain, I know that they stupidly jump out, and then don't know which way to get back, and die. So, with our warm weather we have been having (up to the last few days), I wonder if those fish were spawning, and jumped out during their spawn? The fish was about 8-9" long.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I guess they are like salmon when you want it you want it .I will lower my pond water this year to try and stop it and put the screens over the pond .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
The only time I've had a fish jump out of my pond was the first day new koi were introduced to the pond. I do remember losing one fish that day, found it on the outside ledge. Not sure why it didn't flop back into the pond, but maybe knocked it out when it hit the rocks. Anyhow, never had the problem with my koi, but this is the second time I've witnessed the carp from the farm pond be on the ground dead, so I'm sure it happens a lot out there.

Reaction score
I just love this site! I finally have a place to show all my pictures and videos. I will have to get busy and dig it all up and get it online.

I have some video footage of my goldfish spawning and actually leaving the water. I have a large carpet of creeping jenny that drapes into the pond, and they actually left the water while chasing her about. I thought I was going to have to walk around the pond and get them back in. Some of my goldfish have gone up my river all the way to the filter. Just to get into the river they need to get up a 3’ waterfall and across a flat piece of flagstone where the water is only about half a inch deep.

Attachments

• DSC_1434.JPG
    DSC_1434.JPG
    99.7 KB · Views: 225
  • DSC_1323.JPG
    DSC_1323.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 222
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Those are gorgeous pics, and yes, post away! We love to see poeple's ponds, and you won't ever see any of us get tired of viewing your ponds pics. In fact, it's your thread, so you can do whatever you want and post whatever you want, as long as the moderators approve, and they ALWAYS approve of pond pics! The cardinal is beautiful, I sure miss them where I live. Not enough trees for them to land in, so I don't get them here, darn it. Just get sparrows and starlings, pigeons in the barn, and the occasional dove. I sure enjoy the snow geese this time of year, but I know they are a nuisance everywhere they go! Long as they stay out of my yard, they are welcome to land in the fields around me and eat the corn that fell to the ground before the farmers got it picked.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Fun thread. :)

Yeah, I've been losing fish, almost all of my rosey reds are gone, but I don't see the bodies anywhere. I raised my water level to the point where it meets with my stream. I guess the fish are swimming into the stream and my farm cats are swooping in for a snack. :( Going to lower the water level again. I never would have thought of the fish trying to swim up stream.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, very neat video, EH. And, I noticed you changed your picture ... guess you don't want us to think that your pond right now looks like your video, huh?! I can see where you said that goldfish got up and out of the water. I was wondering if it would get back into the water in the first part, but it sure did. Makes you wonder what happens when you are not around, huh? And, what is that upright plant just in front of the fish in the first part of the video. Not sure I've ever seen it, and wondering if it has any type of bloom. I like the way it grows.
Crsublette, do you have any larger fish besides the rosy reds? If so, could they be snacking on them?

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Nah, nothing like a koi...just got some pretty small shunbunkins and normal feeder comets; if I had to guess, maybe 5" long.

Yeah, that video is quite neat. Fish are crazy.

Reaction score
DSC_5040.JPG
CountryEscape said:
Wow, very neat video, EH. And, I noticed you changed your picture ... guess you don't want us to think that your pond right now looks like your video, huh?! I can see where you said that goldfish got up and out of the water. I was wondering if it would get back into the water in the first part, but it sure did. Makes you wonder what happens when you are not around, huh? And, what is that upright plant just in front of the fish in the first part of the video. Not sure I've ever seen it, and wondering if it has any type of bloom. I like the way it grows.
Crsublette, do you have any larger fish besides the rosy reds? If so, could they be snacking on them?
That’s right Country, all ice up here right now. I know the plant as bog bean. We have it in several places in the pond. It just grows along, then you can cut it and plop it somewhere else. I have seen it potted but I just let it crawl along. It shoots up a stem with flowers early in the season. This is a old photo, where I was playing with a new macro lens, so you can’t see the whole thing. They are tiny flowers maybe half an inch on a 7-9 inch stem. We started with one token feeder fish “Goldie”, the next year we added 3 other fish, the store called them “fancy tails”, and from there it’s been one big love fest! Some have nice tail and some have “Goldie’s” not so nice tail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
OK, that's another plant on my "want" list! It's really nice and seems to spread, but not in a thick matt, which I kind of like. Other plants could be in the middle of the grouping, too. I'll have to see if I can find some this spring/summer around here.
Usually if a goldfish has longer tails ("fancy tails") they are called Comets (red and white) or Shubunkins (red, white and black). Then there are the fantails, which is even fancier in my opinion. I have all of these in my pond. My sister told me the fantails could not survive the winter. Once again, she was wrong, I was right. LOL I love being right, when my older sister is wrong. I even got some really small fantails at Wal-Mart early last fall, and they came through the winter just fine, too. Or, at least I saw them when the pond was all thawed out last weekend! About half covered with ice now, bubblers keeping nice big open area.

Ask a Question