addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put a few in some pots, put a few pieces in the pond bog. I didn't just drop them in, but will now knowing they do ok that way. I need to see how them come back in the spring.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
gosh amazing how they are that far out of the water .Doing the nasty fish dance :razz: Gosh if a man treated a woman like that he would get booted .Well in most cases ,some younger people seem these days to be out of control

Reaction score
addy1 said:
I put a few in some pots, put a few pieces in the pond bog. I didn't just drop them in, but will now knowing they do ok that way. I need to see how them come back in the spring.
They should winter over fine for you. Ours freeze up in the ice but have always come back. If you see any of my pond videos (many coming soon) you will see lots of bog bean, and we started with two pieces I believe.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks, I don't worry about plants, I figure if they survive they are meant to be part of my pond and yard. I always hope they will make it but if they don't wasn't meant to be.
If they survive for you they for sure should for me.

kougs

kougs
Reaction score
addy1 said:
Thanks, I don't worry about plants, I figure if they survive they are meant to be part of my pond and yard. I always hope they will make it but if they don't wasn't meant to be.
If they survive for you they for sure should for me.
I like the Taro. Bought two of them first year and did not bring them indoors over winter and they died. Like you I don't want that maintenance, if they survive then it was meant to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I brought my Black Taros in each year, this year though I've planted them up in pots to give them a head start. Some I let continue to grow in the basement under lights, others I dried out the bulbs and have replanted them. yep, it's more hassle than I may want in the future, but I sure do like them in my bogs. One thing I have learned with the smaller version of black taro, is they do NOT like wind! I put them up against the waterfall wall, and they do great. Learning as I go ... have to bring in the elephant ears too, and this year brought in just a few canna bulbs, although I don't care much for the cannas. They seem to shred in the wind, too, and don't have much of a bloom for me. I'm hoping maybe second year they will bloom more. If not, they will get replaced with something else!

mjw74

Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone seen this bit of kit...

Attachments

• A revolution.JPG
    A revolution.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 194
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Rosies are actually less tolerant to water conditions than koi. In the tub where I am growing my hyacinths, I have had to restock the rosies three times this Winter. Only the most hardy of them survive... Plus the fact that they are bred as feeders and are in extremely poor shape when you buy them from the store. I think if I get the dojos out of my pond this year, there will be some surviving rosy babies which should be a lot hardier than the stock I get from the store.

Like CE, the only time I have had fish jump out of the pond was during the first few days. My original pond was partially above-ground, so it was impossible for the fish to even flop back in. When I built my new pond, I made sure to include large rocks around the edge to help knock the jumpers back in the water, and so far I haven't lost anybody else.

@Event Horizion - Gotta love the creeping jenny (aka 'moneywort')! That is my primary ground cover around my pond, and some of it in the water manages to stay green through the Winter, despite the occasional solid freeze into the ice.

I have one plant of bog bean, and it has come back for the last couple years, but it never really seems to do very well. I don't know if the fish are eating it faster than it can grow, or if its in too deep of water. Its sitting in about 8" now, but I might try moving it back to a little shallower water this year and let it grow downhill to wherever it wants. I've never seen mine flower.

With the recent changes to my pond liner, and the water being 2" deeper now, I've been moving my shallow-water plants around. Some of the snake grass got moved to the river bank, and I really hope to see those take off this year. The stuff grows wild around here, yet I can't seem to get it to do very well in my pond, but now I actually have a lot of area that I can put plants who want their crowns out of the water.

Ask a Question