About to attempt to rebuild our deck pond myself, with helpers. Intimidated!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think that waterfall finally turned out great! Water coming down just perfect! You gonna stick w/goldfish or shubunkins? Those are the ones I have and they do fine. You can add plants and finish your deck now and then you can sit and enjoy all your hard work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well done and as you said it will look much better with plants, with chairs on the deck it will be a great place to relax. The drift wood is a nice piece, in the close up photo it looks like a dancing lady sculpture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Wow, how in the world did I ever miss this build thread?! Just read through the whole thing and was amazed! You've worked very hard and it's going to be beautiful.....I love the waterfall!

I live in the Cincinnati area and it sounds like you're near Dayton ? Did you know there is a Dayton Koi Club? I've attended a few meeting, great folks....but my interest is more casual then most of the members.

Congratulations on finishing up in time for Tuffy :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That was fun to follow your progress! That is one lucky goldfish. And you will find as most of us have that no pond is ever "done" - there's always something that needs a tweak or an adjustment!

Good job! Now you have the long winter to relax!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think that waterfall finally turned out great! Water coming down just perfect! You gonna stick w/goldfish or shubunkins? Those are the ones I have and they do fine. You can add plants and finish your deck now and then you can sit and enjoy all your hard work.
Thank you so much, JW. I made several errors, and had to do so many things over and over again. But in the end, I think I can live with it. As for the fish, I just buy whatever the local bait shop has...usually at a buck apiece for the larger ones. The lady there is kind enough to try and find the most colorful fish she has in her tank for me. And it sorta makes me feel like I'm "rescuing" fish from a gruesome death. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Wow, how in the world did I ever miss this build thread?! Just read through the whole thing and was amazed! You've worked very hard and it's going to be beautiful.....I love the waterfall!

I live in the Cincinnati area and it sounds like you're near Dayton ? Did you know there is a Dayton Koi Club? I've attended a few meeting, great folks....but my interest is more casual then most of the members.

Congratulations on finishing up in time for Tuffy :)
I live near the tiny town of Jamestown, just east of Xenia. I did NOT know there is a Dayton Koi club. MIght be interesting, but I am not likely to pay lots of money for fancier fish. Living on the side of a 250 acre lake as I do, we have herons, eagles, raccoons, mink, ospreys, geese, and ducks all over the place. It's amazing when they venture right up against our house to visit our pond, when there is that big lake for their use so very near...but they do! I must face the fact that any fish in my pond are at real risk from predators. Cheap fish means I can afford to replace them when disaster strikes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Well done and as you said it will look much better with plants, with chairs on the deck it will be a great place to relax. The drift wood is a nice piece, in the close up photo it looks like a dancing lady sculpture.
I didn't notice that shape until I took a photo of the stump in place. Then I thought it looked like a lady swimming up the waterfall. Later I turned it around, trying to make it look more natural.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Great job! Love that waterfall. The foam does get covered up and sort of disappears. Or you can dig out a bit, the shiny smooth edge. I did the same had lumps of foam here and there, never got back to it, can't even find it now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I didn't notice that shape until I took a photo of the stump in place. Then I thought it looked like a lady swimming up the waterfall. Later I turned it around, trying to make it look more natural.
Personally I liked the way it looks like a lady, you could plant some moss on her head and give her some hair.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Personally I liked the way it looks like a lady, you could plant some moss on her head and give her some hair.
Wow! What a GREAT idea! I just might turn it back around next spring, and do exactly as you suggest. Can't wait to try that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you do don't be a stranger and post a picture, the fun you have to look forward to next spring, no more building just planting.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm so glad you decided to update us on your pond build. It looks great! Please continue to post pictures.

When building my pond, I also could not get the waterfall to look the way I envisioned so I spent each following year changing the position of the rocks. To this day I will adjust a rock or two...... ;)

Ask a Question