About to attempt to rebuild our deck pond myself, with helpers. Intimidated!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even can get evaporation from fog because it seems to come from the pond .I have seen a foggy mist coming off my pond .It was pretty so I don't mind .Now cleaning the bow window may be another thing .I had 1 on my house in NJ and before we put the front porch on it was a pain to clean

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
100_3831.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3?
Country
Canada
I would have pump in water right away even just for temporary measure if I were worried about mosquito they will not lay eggs in moving water. If you are getting wigglers right away is because water is stagnant. Trust me I live in mosquito world up here and not seen a wiggler in my pond. Another tip is check your eaves trough as a lot of people forget them and they are a big issue with mosquito eggs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Sounds like great advice, Jack. Thank you. I plan to rearrange the rocks which are in my pond now, before filling it. Yet I suppose I could put a small pump in there temporarily, and just let it keep the rain water moving around. Much appreciated.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yet I suppose I could put a small pump in there temporarily, and just let it keep the rain water moving around.
Just throw one in, have the outlet pointing up to the surface, it will keep the water nicely stirred up.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cheap ones at harbor freight if you live near one and 20% off coupon ,but you will find dunks work .I use them all the time

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I hope it will be ok for me to revive my old thread, so I can belatedly report on more progress. I simply did not take the time during the waning days of summer and autumn in my area. I ran out of $$$ and could not hire helpers any more, and as my sprained ankle began to heal, I buckled down and worked hard on the pond nearly every day until dark, for weeks. I took photos with my cell phone, but then it was stolen. It took me a while to recover most of those photos. So now I'm finally going to try and start posting photos of my progress again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Using the soil I had dug out for the new filter location, etc, I started making a mound to support the new waterfall. The pond is to the right in this photo, and the filter and retaining wall to the left. After the waterfall is built, I'll have to get that soil away from the finish bricks on my house, to prevent termites. Also, I'll need to make a flat place to stand, and some natural-looking flat-rock "steps" over the dirt hump, so cable technicians can easily access the junction box located just above the dirt pile in this photo.
IMG_20180822_183018.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
After much trial and error, I finally decided that none of my flat rocks were quite flat enough, to be stable foundations for someone to stand on. (Frankly, I didn't want to give cable techs any excuse to refuse to service my cable connections. ;)) I finally settled on re-using some flat concrete blocks which had been dug out during my excavation stage. Then I'll cover these with soil, then the pond liner, and finally put a big flat rock on top of that, and use waterfall foam to keep it from "rocking" underfoot.
IMG_20180822_193426.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
IMG_20180822_201859.jpg
When shoveling in the hard clay soil, I found that pieces kept rolling downhill into the layers of liner and underlayment. To stop this action until I could tamp the soil down firmly, I lined concrete blocks along the edge of my new "hill." It worked, and trapped a lot of dirt and debris. Then once I had tamped each layer of soil in place, I removed the debris and put the blocks away. Now I could finally lay the liner over top of the soil mound which would support the waterfall. View attachment 117477 View attachment 117477
IMG_20180919_195010.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
IMG_20181002_190524.jpg
IMG_20181001_184058.jpg
Next I began stacking and "test-fitting" rocks to make my waterfall. I wanted to emulate the type of flat-rock waterfalls we have around here in Ohio streams, as I have always admired them. They look so natural and serene to me. Here are some example photoView attachment 117480 View attachment 117480
IMG_20181002_190524.jpg
s of creeks nearby which I really like:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm really having trouble posting photos. It seems that if I add a 2nd pic, it repeats it. I intend to post two photos, but get three...one a duplicate copy. Hmmm?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Of course I don't have enough space to make waterfalls as beautiful as the two examples I showed you. Mine can only be about 25-30" wide. I started stacking rocks, checking every few seconds with a level, and stacking some more, and tearing it all out, switching rocks, and assembling again.
00002IMG_00002_BURST20181017140126_COVER.jpg

Ask a Question