Above ground pool for fish

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
My 4-6" goldfish outgrew their 400 gallon in ground pond. I bought a 10' s 24' above ground pool with a pump to transfer them to. Any warnings?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
cover it with window screening so they cannot jump out and weighthe screening down .Test the water and use your pond water as much as you can .Make sure you do not feed them much and make sure you have a pump with a filter .Make sure the water does not get to hot .Is this temporary

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
cover it with window screening so they cannot jump out and weighthe screening down .Test the water and use your pond water as much as you can .Make sure you do not feed them much and make sure you have a pump with a filter .Make sure the water does not get to hot .Is this temporary
The pool is located underneath giant laurel oak trees surrounded by a screened in area. It'll stay cool enough (Tampa bay) and be protected by herons, racoons, etc.
how about filtration? Is the pool pump that comes with it sufficient?

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
The pool is located underneath giant laurel oak trees surrounded by a screened in area. It'll stay cool enough (Tampa bay) and be protected by herons, racoons, etc.
how about filtration? Is the pool pump that comes with it sufficient?
I'm hoping that, given the safety precautions, it will last at least three, four years.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
above ground pools may not last as long in high heat and the water in the summer will get very hot also .You could buy a vinyl liner for now and just put it in the old pond over the old liner as temporary .Those liners are cheaper but do not have a long life as they get brittle .But will last at least 6 or more years but usually less than 10 years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Is this a permanent setup or something to transfer them to while you build them a bigger in ground home?

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
above ground pools may not last as long in high heat and the water in the summer will get very hot also .You could buy a vinyl liner for now and just put it in the old pond over the old liner as temporary .Those liners are cheaper but do not have a long life as they get brittle .But will last at least 6 or more years but usually less than 10 years
Okay. I also should've noted that the pool is in a screened in enclosure, shaded constantly by a group of large oak trees outside the enclosure.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
How hot does te concrete get ,if it gets hot from the ground up it may not last .Not sure what kind of pool you are getting ,blow up or snap set pool .Fish have jumped out of my stock tank holding tanks .You will also have to filter the water and test it .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
If your pool came with a sand filter, I would say change it for a filter with a coarser filter media. Sand is pretty fine and could clog quickly.
If you have a mature filter with existing mature media, use that to start out with to make sure your fish are not exposed to high ammonia levels.
What is your timeline for making this move?
Ask further questions if you're not sure when the new setup is ready for the fish.
Good move, moving your fish to larger accommodations (y).

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How hot does te concrete get ,if it gets hot from the ground up it may not last .Not sure what kind of pool you are getting ,blow up or snap set pool .Fish have jumped out of my stock tank holding tanks .You will also have to filter the water and test it .
Well, it's called a "cool deck", kind of looks like perforated concrete. It never feels hot. The pool is a steel frame snap pool.

Karen Crowley

Bubblenut
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I'll have to wait until my hubby gets home tonight, and ask him more about the filter. As far as I know, we're not planning to use the old filter system since it was for a 400 gallon tank. Now, the new home is 4500 gallons. If the pool pump is not enough, maybe I can use the milk crate and polyester batting?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I turned my above ground pool into my pond, used that for several years. Watch your temps, it did get warmer faster. Good filtration is key, and if you want plants, you’ll have to improvise either a stand, or hanging baskets for them. Mine worked great aside from getting too much sun, until the field south of me was planted in cotton, and they sprayed it. The drift got to my pond, killed half of my fish. I had to pull as many as I could catch out and into my back up tanks, and I had to risk it with fresh water, as the pond water was contaminated. The one thing to watch for is breeding, your fish will breed if given space! I’m trying to turn that to my advantage, separating the pond quality babies from bait quality, and giving the bait quality ones away, I’ve even found a guy who makes and installs ponds in my area, I’ll be trying to work with him to supply pond fish, and if my lillies take off enough, those as well.

Ask a Question