Above ground pool pump?

Reaction score
I'm unable to find a in water pump for my design plans for my pond, I have been looking at an above ground pool pump.

1.) Has anyone used an above ground pool pump for the pond?
2.) If so what size for a 1500-3000 gallon pond? (3/4hp, 1hp, etc.) I do know that my 3/4hp sump pump does a real good job on getting water out of our basement, but how would something like that do in a pond?

thanks!

Reaction score
You don't want to use pool stuff in a pond! try to find a better guess on the pond size. For my 3000 GL pond a lot of people have recommended the Sequence 750 series 4200 GPH pump. great for energy usage and I will be buying one.

Reaction score
Jason is right. No pool equipment on ponds, and no pond equipment on pools. They function differently. Pool equipment functions under very high pressure, which is not what a pond needs.

A sump like you describe is not meant to work 24/7/365. You can't use a sump as a pond pump.

Are you building a 1500g pond or a 3000g pond? It does make a difference in terms of the pump.

If I were you, I'd suggest the Sequence 750 pump. It's reasonably priced, is a total work horse and very low on wattage.

Sketch out your pond and show us the drawings. We'll help you figure it out.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
Sketch out your pond and show us the drawings. We'll help you figure it out.

Ok, that's the kinda pump I'm needing. The Sequence 750 looks to be prefect form the plumbing requirements for my new pond build. Trying to keep it formal.

Here is a sketch of my new pond idea. Any input would be helpful.

That's the idea I have in my head. Possibly make 2 bio-filters next to the waterfall; however I'm still unsure if thats what i want to do.

Attachments

• pond idea #2.jpg
    pond idea #2.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 841
Reaction score
koikeepr said:
what's the black box in the photo?

Oups sorry, Yes it is a koi pond, not a swimming pool. LOL, the black box is the location of the skimmer. and the blue is the location of the waterfall.

I'm no new at this is not even funny, or well It might be, i don't know.

Like I said it's an idea i have in my head.

Reaction score
skimmer should be right opposte your waterfall if you can safely put it there. Everything is then pushed from your waterfall directly to the skimmer box.

In my situation, I couldn't do that because I could not put the skimmer on the front apron of the pond. So, I added 3 TPR's to push water around properly. TPR's are simply water returns that are about 16-18" above the pond floor.

Reaction score
koikeepr said:
skimmer should be right opposte your waterfall if you can safely put it there. Everything is then pushed from your waterfall directly to the skimmer box.

In my situation, I couldn't do that because I could not put the skimmer on the front apron of the pond. So, I added 3 TPR's to push water around properly. TPR's are simply water returns that are about 16-18" above the pond floor.

Ok, hum. figured I would have to add some of those to the pond, how did you plump yours?

Reaction score
TPRs are just 2" pipes that you pop a hole in the liner to install. They install just like a BD basically. Here is a photo of one. It has a flange cover you just screw in between the liner and is locked in place with whatever your backing will be. In my case it was concrete block. It kinda forms a cheese sandwich--think of the liner as the cheese and the back part of the TPR and the front plate cover as the pieces of bread.

These TPR's are water returns that serve the purpose of moving water and debris that sits at the lower level of the pond. This way it moves towards your filters or skimmer. Everything stays suspended versus going on the ground.

In my case, I have water returning to my pond through my 3 TPR's and my waterfall. I have a ball valve on each of these, so I can control the flow rate.

Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of different views on skimmer, some bad, i.e. they will eat your fish, some good like they will remove leafs and junk from the top.

what the real deal?

Reaction score
My current pond has no skimmer. No matter how much I net it, I have leaves, seeds, etc and the top never looks clean. I got a lot of trees.

My new pond will have a skimmer.

Like bottom drains, there are many that have strong opinions about skimmers. Hopefully some of them will chime in here and offer their views so that at the end of that you can make an informed decision.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
If your goal is to have a swimming pool full of fish that looks as artificial as it is, and you do not plan on having any floating plants, then a skimmer is usefull in keeping it pristene on top. Beware that it will eventually take a Koi that gets too close and cannot get back out.
The 15 years of owning a swimming pool and then another 5 years of a spa, I cleaned out many lizards, snakes, mice and other critters that found their way into the water and eventually the skimmer.
You can screen the opening, but then it won't remove leaves.
Floating plants are one of the easiest ways to help maintain water quality and provide shade for your Koi. A skimmer eliminates these altogether. They also make your pond look more natural.
This is the "Garden Pond Forum" not the swimming pool forum.

Reaction score
DrDave said:
If your goal is to have a swimming pool full of fish that looks as artificial as it is, and you do not plan on having any floating plants, then a skimmer is useful in keeping it pristine on top. Beware that it will eventually take a Koi that gets too close and cannot get back out.
The 15 years of owning a swimming pool and then another 5 years of a spa, I cleaned out many lizards, snakes, mice and other critters that found their way into the water and eventually the skimmer.
You can screen the opening, but then it won't remove leaves.
Floating plants are one of the easiest ways to help maintain water quality and provide shade for your Koi. A skimmer eliminates these altogether. They also make your pond look more natural.
This is the "Garden Pond Forum" not the swimming pool forum.

LOL, Yes DrDave i am in the right forum, the garden pond forum. My goal is to have a bigger koi pond, not a "swimming pool full of fish." LOL

The reason for the pool pump is that a friend has a old pool pump and filter he was going to give me, thought it might work on the pond, but before took it off his hands I needed to ask for more info on it. I have only been doing this for less than 2 years. My question was for information on what was the right course of action not to end up killing our fish in our pond.

And everyone i talk to and everywhere i look people are boasting the awesome potential of a skimmer for a koi pond and how clean it will keep it. I have really no help where i live so I'm reaching out to this community for the answers i cant get locally.

I would rather not use a skimmer in my pond, but everyone says I need one and will not be able to keep it clean. "So much for my original topic, LOL" but i ruled out the friends pool pump already thanks to koikeepr help.

Ask a Question