Accidental pondkeeper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by koshki, Oct 18, 2013.

1. koshki

koshki

Thanks. I think the best I can do is try and hope for the best.

And if it doesn't work, then maybe I can convince hubby to rework it next spring. I already want a bigger pond anyway!

koshki, Oct 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

2. koshki

CountryEscape

I think if you are heating only 6" deep of water, first of all the water is probably going to get warmer than you would want it, and second the heater is going to run 24/7 in your coldest part of winter, trying to keep the water from freezing. The other problem I see is what type of heater will you use? Most float on the top, but go down at least 4-6". If that heater touches your liner, will it melt and cause a hole in your liner? I can't imagine trying to heat 6" of water in the winter, but you may get it done. the heaters I use are stock tank heaters, so maybe you will find one that is not as high of wattage. They all usually run on a thermostat, not letting the water get below something like 35 degrees. Having the rocks on the bottom may save your liner from a melted hole. I agree, however, to remove the rocks eventually as they will get just as black and covered with algae as your waterfall. If they don't, and your barley pellets do that good of a job, I want to know the brand you are using! LOL
    Your water is very clear and beautiful, and your fish look very happy. I would guess there will be disaster this winter, but who knows, maybe you will prove us all wrong and keep those beauties to next year, and then talk your DH into expanding or at least deepening the pond for next winter! Good luck.
    Welcome to this great Forum, too! :blueflower:

CountryEscape, Oct 19, 2013
    1. Advertisements

3. koshki

Kristi Kelty

Koshki I love your sunroom! Very nice~ :)

Kristi Kelty, Oct 19, 2013
    koshki likes this.
  4. koshki

dieselplower

There is a part that is deeper than 6" though, correct? What are we talking?

dieselplower, Oct 19, 2013
  5. koshki

bettasngoldfish Maria

I believe she said it was 50 or 60 gallons with 6 inches being the deepest.

bettasngoldfish, Oct 19, 2013
  6. koshki

koshki

The deepest part is directly in front of the skimmer, which I think is about 18" or so. This really wasn't designed with fish in mind...I know you guys must be laughing about my silliness. But I didn't think I was going to talk him into building the waterfall in the first place!

Let me ask some different questions. In the winter, does the water need to circulate? I know the fish don't eat when the water is colder than 50°, but do they go into torpor?

If I could put a tank of some sort in my unheated garage, would I need to have some sort of water circulation? What else would they need? Things rarely freeze in the garage during the winter, but it does stay below 40° pretty consistently.

koshki, Oct 19, 2013
  7. koshki

koshki

Thanks, Kristi! When we bought this house in 2005, I had one struggling orchid, and one near death. Then I joined an orchid forum similar to GPF, and the insanity took over. In that photo, I think I was at about 250 orchids.

I sense the same kind of fever taking hold as I read here!

koshki, Oct 19, 2013
  8. koshki

dieselplower

If there is not some circulation the water will freeze sooner.

dieselplower, Oct 19, 2013
  9. koshki

Dave 54

Sorry to come in on this really but you quite siply will not be albe to do what you are thinking .
    The recomended depth for Goldfish is 4ft, the recomended depth for koi 4.5f - 5ft.
    Your going to have to re-think things rather rapidly I'm afraid......
    My partner and I like your goodself are disabled my partner suffering Facioscapularhumeral Muscular Dystrphy myself Chronic Osteo Arthitis both knee joints/Fybromyagia.
    We to love spending relaxing afternoons by the pond but in the winter we have to leave the koi outside and we come inside.
    Thankfully weve insulated/covered every possible thing we can so that the koi may stay warm outside but what is needed is depth which unfortunatelly you seem to be lacking.
    You simply cannot heat 6 inches of water and keep it fluid if you have long hard winters which it appears you have.
    Our own pond is 1,000 imperial Gallons and will require heating throughout three months of the winter.
    It seems logical your fish need to come in as do many of your beautiful pond plantsif they are tropical and may need to come indoors also.
    I can only suggest that you give up the sunroom until the spring and get your DH onto making a deeper pond for you.....
    In the mean time he'll have make you a small pond for them in the sunroom where at least they can be indoors .
    Try not to worry as many folk make the mistake you have and many more after you will do the same.
    Had you read some more into it you would have found this out .
    It's not a worry though you have some room forthem in the sunroom :D

rgrds

Dave

Dave 54, Oct 19, 2013
  10. koshki

CountryEscape

Dave, I think she already pointed out she only has one area where she can even turn around in the sunroom, so with her wheelchair necessities, that's out.
    Koshki, I think you were asking about circulation if you bring the fish into your garage for the winter. The answer is yes, some sort of circulation and/or filtration. If you just have filtration, you will also have circulation, is what I mean by that. It can be primitive, just something deep enough and enough gallons for the fish to make it through the winter easily.
    What everyone on here says and I repeat, the bigger you go, the easier it is to take care of. I know that doesn't make sense in a way, but it's true. If you go bigger next year, and make sure you have adequate filtration, the pond will pretty much take care of itself for most of the summer. I don't do much to mine after spring clean out of any accumulated muck that may have gathered on the bottom of my ponds during the winter.
    I didn't realize you had 18" of depth in one area, but still that's just not enough. If you were in a warmer climate, you would have cooked your fish during the summer. :) It's not just for winter they need the depth. And, the fact you've already had a raccoon or some predator relieve you of your fishes in the past, that's yet another reason to go deeper. If you have straight down sides, it makes it VERY difficult for most predators to get the fish.
    So, get yourself some type of a tote or large muck bucket or something big enough for the fish to stay in during the winter in your garage. As long as it doesn't freeze, and sounds like it won't, they will be fine. Just give them some filtration and feed very little. Not sure how they will handle things in there with no food at all, so if the water is warmer in there for now, you might get away with feeding them a while longer. Someone else that keeps fish inside for the winter can chime in here as to feed requirements.
    Good luck!!!

CountryEscape, Oct 19, 2013
    koshki likes this.
  11. koshki

Tula

Another possibility is to see if you could return the fish where you bought them, and just enjoy your pond as it is....focus on lovely plants and the waterfall:) Kim

Tula, Oct 20, 2013
  12. koshki

JohnHuff Friends call me Dr. Sir John Huff

Actually, if there is enough water that is 18inches deep you might be able to get away with it. If you want to give it a go, fill your pond as much as you can and then add a heater. Maybe insulate/cover some of the sides of the pond with 1inch foam insulation and it might work.

JohnHuff, Oct 20, 2013
  13. koshki

koshki

Tula, I haven't given up on trying to figure out a way to get these little guys through the winter. I also don't think PetSmart will take back these feeder goldfish, even though they've grown quite a bit. Besides, they're my little buddies now!

I proposed to my DH that we set up a cold tank in the garage with a filter. He grunted. But he is absolutely not going for an aquarium in the house.

So, I need to know everything there is to know about putting a tank (I'm thinking a large Rubbermaid type container with a filter?) in the garage where they will slow way down due to the cold but will not freeze.

I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that these goldies will require very minimal care while they are cold, below 50° but generally above freezing. No feeding, little other maintenance.

Sort of like what I envision them doing if I had a deep enough pond where they go to sleep at the bottom of the pond, and wake up and greet me in the spring.

koshki, Oct 20, 2013
    Tula likes this.
  14. koshki

shakaho

You just need to face reality. Goldfish need a minimum of 20 gallons per fish, with 50 gallons each being better. Your fish have grown and will poison themselves with their own waste in this tiny pond should they survive the winter. Lovely as it is, this is not a goldfish pond, although it could certainly be enlarged to make one. I strongly recommend that you return the fish. In spring, if you really want fish, get some minnows or some mosquito fish.

Very good! I was going to suggest a stock tank in the basement. The Tuff stuff 110 gallon tank is less expensive than Rubbermaid and is a good choice.

shakaho, Oct 20, 2013
  15. koshki

koshki

Shakaho, the basement is inaccessible to me, and not as cold as the garage (it's finished and warm; my hubby's office is down there.) So that is out...he takes care of kitty litter, but has made it clear these fish are my responsibility.

So what do I need to do to make a stock tank in my garage? The tank you linked looks good.

koshki, Oct 20, 2013
  16. koshki

pecan

Wonderful water fall! And I love the location tucked back in you garden. Very pretty and relaxing I am sure. :)

pecan, Oct 20, 2013
  17. koshki

koshki

Thanks! My hubby and I have enjoyed the summer evenings next to it many times. He almost always remarks that we never sat in front of the fountain like that!

But it sure has given me the bug for a bigger setup. I showed him addy1's bog and he really liked the idea of a natural filter. I have all winter to devise my plan of attack!

koshki, Oct 20, 2013
    mtpond, Nepen and CountryEscape like this.
  18. koshki

pecan

It is bad isn't it? My pond is very large and I still want to go bigger LOL!

BTW, as far as bog filters go, for people with green thumbs that enjoy plants there is nothing better. :) I really love water gardening. I am planning on putting in a large bog with no pond next spring I love it so much :)

pecan, Oct 20, 2013
    koshki, Tula and CountryEscape like this.
  19. koshki

haver79

Koshki I love your little pond. Very cute.
    Last winter I kept my 7 goldies in our basement in a small Rubbermaid tank. My basement is semi finished and we keep it cooler. Water stayed about 60 degrees.
    For a filter I have used both a plastic watering can and a terra cotta flower pot. Eitherway I filled it with kitchen scrubbers. the colored mesh type, no sponge, no soap.
    Used a small fountain pump. Pump went into the Rubbermaid tote, in the water, the the tubing went into the bottom of the watering can, under the scrubbies. water either spilled out of the spout of the watering can or spilled over the terra cotta pot. occasional water changes. That's all. Fishies were fine. We built a liner pond this summer, and my fish will stay outside for the first time this winter.

haver79, Oct 24, 2013
    mtpond, koshki, Tula and 1 other person like this.
  20. koshki

shakaho

What will be the temperature range in your garage through the winter?

shakaho, Oct 24, 2013
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question