Accidental pondkeeper

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Another possibility is to see if you could return the fish where you bought them, and just enjoy your pond as it is....focus on lovely plants and the waterfall:) Kim

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
koshki said:
The deepest part is directly in front of the skimmer, which I think is about 18" or so.
Actually, if there is enough water that is 18inches deep you might be able to get away with it. If you want to give it a go, fill your pond as much as you can and then add a heater. Maybe insulate/cover some of the sides of the pond with 1inch foam insulation and it might work.

Reaction score
Tula, I haven't given up on trying to figure out a way to get these little guys through the winter. I also don't think PetSmart will take back these feeder goldfish, even though they've grown quite a bit. Besides, they're my little buddies now!

I proposed to my DH that we set up a cold tank in the garage with a filter. He grunted. But he is absolutely not going for an aquarium in the house.

So, I need to know everything there is to know about putting a tank (I'm thinking a large Rubbermaid type container with a filter?) in the garage where they will slow way down due to the cold but will not freeze.

I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that these goldies will require very minimal care while they are cold, below 50° but generally above freezing. No feeding, little other maintenance.

Sort of like what I envision them doing if I had a deep enough pond where they go to sleep at the bottom of the pond, and wake up and greet me in the spring.

Reaction score
You just need to face reality. Goldfish need a minimum of 20 gallons per fish, with 50 gallons each being better. Your fish have grown and will poison themselves with their own waste in this tiny pond should they survive the winter. Lovely as it is, this is not a goldfish pond, although it could certainly be enlarged to make one. I strongly recommend that you return the fish. In spring, if you really want fish, get some minnows or some mosquito fish.

koshki said:
Tula, I haven't given up on trying to figure out a way to get these little guys through the winter. I also don't think PetSmart will take back these feeder goldfish, even though they've grown quite a bit. Besides, they're my little buddies now!

I proposed to my DH that we set up a cold tank in the garage with a filter. He grunted. But he is absolutely not going for an aquarium in the house.

So, I need to know everything there is to know about putting a tank (I'm thinking a large Rubbermaid type container with a filter?) in the garage where they will slow way down due to the cold but will not freeze.

I'm assuming (please correct me if I'm wrong) that these goldies will require very minimal care while they are cold, below 50° but generally above freezing. No feeding, little other maintenance.

Sort of like what I envision them doing if I had a deep enough pond where they go to sleep at the bottom of the pond, and wake up and greet me in the spring.
Very good! I was going to suggest a stock tank in the basement. The Tuff stuff 110 gallon tank is less expensive than Rubbermaid and is a good choice.

Reaction score
Shakaho, the basement is inaccessible to me, and not as cold as the garage (it's finished and warm; my hubby's office is down there.) So that is out...he takes care of kitty litter, but has made it clear these fish are my responsibility.

So what do I need to do to make a stock tank in my garage? The tank you linked looks good.

Reaction score
pecan said:
Wonderful water fall! And I love the location tucked back in you garden. Very pretty and relaxing I am sure. :)
Thanks! My hubby and I have enjoyed the summer evenings next to it many times. He almost always remarks that we never sat in front of the fountain like that!

But it sure has given me the bug for a bigger setup. I showed him addy1's bog and he really liked the idea of a natural filter. I have all winter to devise my plan of attack!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
koshki said:
Thanks! My hubby and I have enjoyed the summer evenings next to it many times. He almost always remarks that we never sat in front of the fountain like that!

But it sure has given me the bug for a bigger setup. I showed him addy1's bog and he really liked the idea of a natural filter. I have all winter to devise my plan of attack!
It is bad isn't it? My pond is very large and I still want to go bigger LOL!

BTW, as far as bog filters go, for people with green thumbs that enjoy plants there is nothing better. :) I really love water gardening. I am planning on putting in a large bog with no pond next spring I love it so much :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Koshki I love your little pond. Very cute.
Last winter I kept my 7 goldies in our basement in a small Rubbermaid tank. My basement is semi finished and we keep it cooler. Water stayed about 60 degrees.
For a filter I have used both a plastic watering can and a terra cotta flower pot. Eitherway I filled it with kitchen scrubbers. the colored mesh type, no sponge, no soap.
Used a small fountain pump. Pump went into the Rubbermaid tote, in the water, the the tubing went into the bottom of the watering can, under the scrubbies. water either spilled out of the spout of the watering can or spilled over the terra cotta pot. occasional water changes. That's all. Fishies were fine. We built a liner pond this summer, and my fish will stay outside for the first time this winter.

Reaction score
koshki said:
Shakaho, the basement is inaccessible to me, and not as cold as the garage (it's finished and warm; my hubby's office is down there.) So that is out...he takes care of kitty litter, but has made it clear these fish are my responsibility.

So what do I need to do to make a stock tank in my garage? The tank you linked looks good.
What will be the temperature range in your garage through the winter?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
haver79 said:
Koshki I love your little pond. Very cute.
Last winter I kept my 7 goldies in our basement in a small Rubbermaid tank. My basement is semi finished and we keep it cooler. Water stayed about 60 degrees.
For a filter I have used both a plastic watering can and a terra cotta flower pot. Eitherway I filled it with kitchen scrubbers. the colored mesh type, no sponge, no soap.
Used a small fountain pump. Pump went into the Rubbermaid tote, in the water, the the tubing went into the bottom of the watering can, under the scrubbies. water either spilled out of the spout of the watering can or spilled over the terra cotta pot. occasional water changes. That's all. Fishies were fine. We built a liner pond this summer, and my fish will stay outside for the first time this winter.
Like the simplicity of this:) Might use the watering can idea as a water feature next summer! Kim

Reaction score
shakaho said:
What will be the temperature range in your garage through the winter?
Depending on outside temps, it is usually in the mid to low 40s, sometimes in the 30s, but I can't remember anything actually freezing in it. While it's not heated, it is attached, and has a well-insulated garage door. It's on the opposite side of the prevailing winds. I've got a min/max thermometer in there now, and if temps get too low, I could run a space heater in there for a while.

I visited my local pond store today, and the woman was very helpful. She recommended an external air pump and an air rock (?). I already have some large containers that I can use. At first I thought it might be cruel to put the fish in a rectangular box, but they are already spending most of their time in the skimmer, and that has a lid on it and is smaller. I should use the pond water, and stop feeding them.

This has a couple benefits over the heater idea we'd been thinking about. First, I think it will be a lot cheaper to run the pump rather than a heater. Second, we won't have any worries about the heater damaging the pond liner. Third, we can turn off the pond pump.

She also told me that my new pond only needs to be 24" deep to be able to keep goldfish outside next winter (our frost line is about 18".) Twenty-four inches is exactly the same maximum depth my local city ordinances allow for unlicensed and unfenced ponds.

And best of all, she gave me the idea of hiring a couple high school boys next summer to bust up the cement apron under the pond and dig the holes. Much cheaper than the landscaping guys!

If we keep the waterfall in the same place, and expand the perimeters a bit, I calculated a 24" deep pond would hold approximately 525 gallons. Still small, but a big improvement over the measly 50-60 gallons I have now!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Sounds like things are moving along:) I'm sure the gold fish will be fine in your garage, especially with the air stone. Kim

Reaction score
There is no reason to heat the garage pond if it isn't freezing. I suggest you run a filter through the winter. Water circulation will keep the pond open just in case you have a rare freeze. How a big a container are you planning to use? If the lowest temperature is ~ 40F, there will be plenty of warmer temperatures when you fish need food and produce waste. My fish eat until the water temperature gets down to about 55F, although their need for food decreases. They do produce waste. They need filtration and a generous amount of water per fish.

Ask a Question