Acquired a koi pond, worried about the algae and fish!

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Well, I was applying the term "noxious" in regards to how algae is unrelentless, can be pain at times, and not something you always want to fill up the pond.

In regards to aesthetics, I wouldn't consider string algae noxious whenever it stays around 1~4 inches long in the stream. ;) Even carpet algae that forms on rocks, disquising the rocks nice natural color, could be viewed as noxious appearance to some folk. Pea soup algae is quite fine, but some folk also like to see their fish, not distorted by the water's color. Personally, I am a big fan of the neon-green carpet algae that only seems to grow in small spots and at particular locations in my stream.

I was mostly referring to how the algae grows, but I also think the term "noxious" is quite subjective that is dependent on the pond owner's goals and intended luxury to be obtained from the pond. So, there is a line folk have to draw as to what is acceptable.

Reaction score
I am going to start my work on cleaning up Pond #2 today so I can figure out the flow issue.

Just wanted to double check to see if it would be okay to move my bigger fish, Ferdinand in with the 4 smaller fish.
I already feel bad that Ferdinand is by himself. He is about 6" long.

The other 4 fish are all about 2-3" and very much a package deal. They travel in a pack and I'm concerned they might pick on poor Ferdi.

Is it okay to just catch Ferdi and move him via net in with the others? The water temps should be the same because their ponds are right next to each other. If they can peacefully coexist that would be awesome, I just worry about the size difference.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I have koi and goldies together and they are fine not to worry ,just watch them at first because there could have been a reason he was put separate ,he could have been aggressive during spawning or the other fish could have been aggressive towards him or her .Koi if they are female are bulgy in the middle and males tend to have a long sleek body .Most koi are very friendly .Is it a koi or goldfish .Koi have barbels on there face .Use a net big enough to catch him and he r she will be fine .Don't be scared your water seems to look fine .To remove any thick algae you can spray it with peroxide and water and also use a baby bottle brush or toilet bowl brush to remove it slowly you don't want to muck up your water .I get them at the dollar store

Reaction score
All the fish appear to be goldfish. I will definitely be watching them closely.
I have a feeling the only reason he's alone is because she added the 4 smaller ones at the same time when they were small enough for him to eat. There was probably another fish with Ferdi at some point that has passed away or something.
Ultimately I won't be able to clean up his mucky pond with him inside of it, so he'll need to be moved temporarily no matter what!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
he will probably love the company .You may end up with babies so keep an eye out when you are cleaning the ponds .They are really small this time of the year . I thought I had none this year and was pulling the pump to clean it and found 4 teeny tiny black ones about the size of a dime .Sure your son will love it if you find babies :cheerful:

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah, it'll be ok to move Ferdi... if ya can catch him! ;) Funnest part of the game is trying to catch them. :)

Generally, you're right, if a fish's mouth is big enough to swallow another fish, then the old rule of big fish eats small fish does apply. This is not always true though since I think it depends on the type of fish.

I think goldfish are bottom feeders much like koi carp, but the goldfish will eat each other's eggs and small fry. Although, I have never heard of a 7" goldfish eating a 3" goldfish since I'm not for sure if their mouths are big enough for it. I could be wrong, but I don't think a 7" goldfish has a big enough mouth to eat a 2~3" goldfish.

Reaction score
I dont see an issue with the sizes mentioned ... a few days ago, I discovered a few "surprise fish" in the upper pond. The half dozen or so surprises are all about 3" ... their pond mates are one 4-5" goldfish, five shubunkings all 6-8" and one 12-13" white feeder goldfish. The little guys were swimming with the big white guy when we spotted them.

We also have some little guys, 3-4" in size, that rode the waterfall down to the main pond, and none of the big koi are trying to eat them. I *know* two of our larger koi will go for fish under 2" but if they make it to 2" they are part of the group like any other fish.

Reaction score
Well, we moved Ferdinand in with his new roommates today and so far, so good. He hid for awhile but finally ventured out for some food. The smaller fish were quite curious!!

Finally heard back from the previous owner/landlord and she mentioned that the control panel they had hooked up to fill the ponds, run the waterfall, etc. was struck by lightning when they were on vacation awhile back. They lost all the fish except Ferdinand because of it.
She suggested that we simply pull the filter out, clean it and put it back in and that will restore the flow to Ferdi's pond. Nice to know, after I've spent hours fretting over the right way to go about things. The waterfall no longer works, they were unable to diagnose that problem so I'm not going to mess with it. Just want some aeration in Pond #2!

We are getting a TON of rain lately. Are there any good tips out there for how to get Ferdi's pond water ready again when its time to possibly move him back? I might just pick up a couple new fish for that side since I'm sure he's loving the company right now.

Reaction score
Yeah, I quickly realized that moving him wasn't a great idea. He's been chasing one of the other fish, Ophelia all day. After researching I discovered this is a mating ritual and now I can't catch the little bugger to put him back in solitary confinement!!! :banghead3:

I'm beginning to think I'm not cut out for this kind of stuff, lol. Its dark here now, and I'm going to have to wait until tomorrow to move him back at this rate because he's now in a pond with unlimited new hiding spots from the big bad lady with a net. Its like a cesspool for babies out there. Pretty soon I'm going to have thousands of tadpoles AND goldfish. Yikes!

In other news, i solved the water flow issue!!! It was a case of a very clogged filter. When I say clogged, I mean COVERED IN SLUDGE. Of course it would be an obvious answer. I had tried previously to pull up the box but it stirred the already mucky water so much I was afraid it would harm the fish hence why I wanted to move him in the first place! I pulled both filters in both ponds today, hosed them out and replaced the filters. Added a tad bit of algaecide to both ponds, which I expect to really clear up over the next couple days now that water can move!

I'm a little stressed about the potential Ferdinand-Ophelia baby boom though.
Is there ever a time when having these ponds is actually going to be relaxing!? I feel like all I've done since moving in is diagnose, clean, move, treat, feed, remove eggs, landscape, etc! :fingersx:

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
In a small pond the adults generally eat most all the eggs. If the eggs hatch the parents eat the fry. Depending on the pond and the fish some may survive. Just depends.

Assuming the ponds are not connected. If you do get new fish use one pond as a quarantin pond for the new fish and the other for your existing 5. Mixing new fish into an existing pond without quarantining can be very bad.

Reaction score
Jinx, I'd be happy to come over, look at the ponds, make some recommendations, and help a bit. It's hard to know what to tell you to do without seeing the situation. I'm in Winter Springs. If you are interested, send me a message. Garden Gimp knows me and can assure you that I'm just a harmless old pond nut, and like all pond nuts, I love to look at ponds.

Reaction score
Jinx, I recommend you jump quickly and grab Sharon (Shakaho) by the arm and drag her over to your place :alieneyesa: She knows a ton of tricks and will help a lot.

I have a lot of hiding places, and fish that are certainly of the age to do the deed, and I've not got any hatchlings. Keep the adults slightly underfed and add a Betta to the pond is my tactic.

BTW, what part of Central Florida?

Oh, and ponds do indeed become very relaxing. I start each morning, and end each day with a sit for a spell out by the pond. Get my daily dose of nature.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
just think new babies means your son needs to think of new names and watch them grow up .grab grab and run ,SOUNDS LIKE A KIDNAPPING IN ADULT FORM :cheerful:

Ask a Question