Activated Carbon

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I noticed last year that my pond water usually had a brown tinge even when it was clear. It's still chilly here, water temp in low 40s, but I've been working at pulling dead leaves out brrrr. I didn't realize the importance of the net last fall. Anyway, from what I've read the brown color is likely to be attributable to tannins due to the dead leaves. In addition to removing as much of the leaves as possible, I've read that activated carbon works well to remove the brown color. Yea or nay?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It does work - you just need to use an amount that can make a difference. How big is your pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Tannins and humic substances are actually healthy for your pond, but as Lisa says, carbon will remove it.
So will bacteria and a little patience.
Make sure your water quality is good as the bacteria will be extra active.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh, then a one pound bag should do it. Or just leave it be. If you don't have a constant source of tannins, it will clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Activated charcoal. I order it online. eBay. It comes in one pound zip bags. Which are handy. I keep them after and add filter padding or loose barley pellets. I think all pond peeps have a stash of spare bags lol. I started using it a couple yes ago. Notice a difference within a day or two.

Ask a Question