sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My neighbor over winters water hyacinth in her spare bathroom bathtub .Mine go in the basement .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Parrots feather will survive in your area. I have it in a shallow pond in the stream, freezes solid and comes back every year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
lazy days of summer projects are slower than ever
also grass allergies takes any extra energy away
some progress on the bog

chop saw slits 6" apart on a 10' x 2" PVC
WP_20170813_11_12_36_Pro.jpg

reduced the pipe to 1" and found a perfect union at HD for the Laguna flex pipe. Small leak which some Teflon tape took care of. Also painted black for stealth.
WP_20170813_17_46_11_Pro.jpg

on other side, cap for blow out options should there be clogs. Will be under gravel, so no paint needed.
WP_20170813_17_13_24_Pro.jpg

base gravel about 1/3 or 10". Filled up with water and testing for a few days to check for leak and procrastination in
having to fill the rest of the bog.
WP_20170813_17_47_14_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
after a week the plumbing looked good in the bog with just water. So today I filled it with almost 2 yards of gravel. Washed it just a bit since it was quite dirty. But the water got real murky. Will wait till tomorrow in hopes it will clear up!
WP_20170820_19_46_16_Pro.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
after a week the plumbing looked good in the bog with just water. So today I filled it with almost 2 yards of gravel. Washed it just a bit since it was quite dirty. But the water got real murky. Will wait till tomorrow in hopes it will clear up!
View attachment 103424
It will may take a few days. Had they same issues when I did my bog.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Put in a pump and put quilt batting in a crate and it will pick up all that stuff before it settles on the bottom of the pond .Remember all plants that go in your bog ned all the dirt washed of them to look for insects and bad stuff hiding in the roots

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Give it time, I totally muck up our pond when I work in the bog. Within a day the water is back to clear. Now that is a plant filled bog. When I built ours I did not rinse it, if I recall right it took around a week to start to clear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Put in a pump and put quilt batting in a crate and it will pick up all that stuff before it settles on the bottom of the pond .Remember all plants that go in your bog ned all the dirt washed of them to look for insects and bad stuff hiding in the roots

Planning to put the plants in three places
1) floating in pond
2) pots in pond with kitty litter
3) bog plants

do plants in the bog just go into the gravel with nothing else?
i'm going to start a new thread on newbie plants

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Planning to put the plants in three places
1) floating in pond
2) pots in pond with kitty litter
3) bog plants

i'm going to start a new thread on newbie plants

Yes. Is the majority answer it seems.

I just knock of excess dirt as not to damage any fine roots. The soil left will stay or settle in the bog or eventually get filtered out if it leaves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I filled the bog two weeks ago with gravel, I didn't tamp down the gravel as I presumed it doesn't need to be compacted. Though through gravity, the water level is now about the gravel line. Should I add more gravel or should the water level be above the gravel? If the latter, how much above the gravel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I filled the bog two weeks ago with gravel, I didn't tamp down the gravel as I presumed it doesn't need to be compacted. Though through gravity, the water level is now about the gravel line. Should I add more gravel or should the water level be above the gravel? If the latter, how much above the gravel?

In my bog i have the water covered completely but that's just me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
just found out we got babies, they are about 2 inches already, but not sure who to blame and only about 4-5 made it this far

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just planted mine in the gravel. Most came bare root.
Though through gravity, the water level is now about the gravel line. Should I add more gravel or should the water level be above the gravel? If the latter, how much above the gravel?
I added some more gravel in a few places, so have some above water, some below water, at the time thought it would make a difference to the plants. They don't seem to care, they grow above water, below water, at water level.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
going to dip into the teens this Friday night
don't expect a freeze in the pond surface, but should I turn off the pump and detach the hoses?
Was planning to run the bog filter and waterfall till Thanksgiving weekend (most leaves are down by then) but keep the fountain running till it stays below freezing. From that point on, I guess the aerator and deicer goes in?

most of my plants are in pots or in the bog, do I just leave them be? what about ones floating around?

Ask a Question