Added Fish To New Pond, Now What.....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
okay back from my 2 week trip and my wife and inlaws looked after the pond in my absence. This morning after my redeye, checked the water and readings are similar to when I left. Ammonia zero and pH close to 8. KH and GH a little lower at 75 and 100 respectively. Nitrites and Nitrates also zero. Water color is a bit more green than before I left and I can't see the fish unless they are an inch from the surface. I had to drop some food to make sure most were still alive. I was able to account for about 7 of the 10 fish I have.

I'm going to be working on the bog filter for the next two weeks. Should I leave the pond water as-is and continue monitoring the water on a daily basis or should I try to get the water clear before I start the bog?

I don't mind the green water, but seeing the fish would be even better.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Am I correct in that you have no plants in the pond?
If so, then once you get your 'bog' functioning, the plantings there will speed up the clearing of the water.
This is still a relatively new pond and it will continue to achieve some degree of biochemical balance for at least one year. In short, the pond will continue to mature during this time period. This in no way means that you will have green water for 12 months as this should naturally clear soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Am I correct in that you have no plants in the pond?
If so, then once you get your 'bog' functioning, the plantings there will speed up the clearing of the water.
This is still a relatively new pond and it will continue to achieve some degree of biochemical balance for at least one year. In short, the pond will continue to mature during this time period. This in no way means that you will have green water for 12 months as this should naturally clear soon.

that's right Meyer, no plants
Didn't want to complicate things by adding plants yet. Will start with plants in the bog first then add plants next year is the plan.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
update on pond conditions
ammonia still zero, despite green water the algae doing a great job helping with the nitrogen cycle. Nitrites and Nitrates also zero.

KH and GH are both hovering around 80. It doesn't seem to want get up over 100, any concerns here?

one positive reading is that the pH is dropping a bit. For a few weeks it stayed around 8.2. This weekend it dropped to a more comfortable 7.8.

working on the bog but taking longer than expected. I would like to introduce plants into the pond while bog being worked on. I have a net over the pond to protect from the herons. I have ten GF and no koi. What plants can I put in this late in the season which would help to clean and clear up my water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was on about your schedule last year. Water hyacinth didn't do much (went gang busters this year). But parrots feather did a really nice job of growing out into the pond, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I was on about your schedule last year. Water hyacinth didn't do much (went gang busters this year). But parrots feather did a really nice job of growing out into the pond, etc.
were they both in pots?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Water hyacinths just float. The parrots feather you can pot, but I think I just mostly stuck it between rocks and let it spread.

Both are an annual in my climate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Water hyacinths just float. The parrots feather you can pot, but I think I just mostly stuck it between rocks and let it spread.

Both are an annual in my climate.
so you just replant each year?
that might work out as I've read they are both rather invasive

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I didn't replant parrots feather as I was hoping it would come back. I'm still figuring out what survives. Most people with water hyacinth are just buying new every year. I bought 15 plants this year on eBay and have been yanking them out by the bushel this year. Once it gets warm, they multiply like crazy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I bought 15 plants this year

We always buy one. And end up with bushels of them. This is the first year they've thrived in the big pond - no clue why. We've been able to grow them in the patio pond and the pondless waterfall, but never in the pond.

despite green water the algae doing a great job helping with the nitrogen cycle
That green water IS algae - it's doing what your pond needs right now.

Any hardy plant can be added to your pond right now and will help, in the pot or planted directly in the pond. Floating plants will also help. Did you mention what zone you're in?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We always buy one. And end up with bushels of them. This is the first year they've thrived in the big pond - no clue why. We've been able to grow them in the patio pond and the pondless waterfall, but never in the pond.

That green water IS algae - it's doing what your pond needs right now.

Any hardy plant can be added to your pond right now and will help, in the pot or planted directly in the pond. Floating plants will also help. Did you mention what zone you're in?

I'm in Northern NJ, zone 6a

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm in Northern NJ, zone 6a
If you can, edit your profile to show that. Many of us look at that right away before giving advice.

@Lisak1 yeah, I think next year I am going to just pick up a few from the local store. Thing is the only things that make sense are 5 or less from a local store or having 15+ shipped off of eBay.

Mine took a long time to get started this summer, but once they did, boy.... I'm going to have to thin things out again this weekend.

Ask a Question