Adding watercress

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
These are aquatic cannas and I do plant them directly in the gravel - and then prepare for a wrestling match when you have to get them out again! They root deep but grow beautifully - I love the big leaves and lovely blooms.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well that will narrow my search then. At least I know where to check for it. I probably never noticed it because I wasn't looking for it.

And since you mentioned lava rock...I picked up a bag of red lava rock at Lowes yesterday (thinking I would use it for the pond) My husband was worried it might discolor the pond water. I told him I didn't think so as I hadn't noticed anyone mention it here.
You need to rinse the lava rock off really well before putting in in your pond . The dust from it will discolor the water.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
I bought some lava rock also. Left it outside on some concrete. Got 4 1/2 inches of rain so hopefully that helped rinse it off. I will still soak it some more though. Got some crushed oyster shells also and need to get a bag for those and get added to the pond.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I can't believe watercress doesn't overwinter for some of you! We have it growing in the ditches around here, it stays green almost all winter and ALWAYS comes back early in the spring. And we get COLD here!
John

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It does that around here too John but the stuff I bought at the grocery store one year died in winter in my pond. Could be cuz I floated it on a screen thing on the surface of the water w/ it's roots hanging down in the water. Maybe it needs soil to overwinter and come back?

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Could be a different variety, too. Have to Giggle it! Or Goggle, or whatever.
John
Just did it... only one variety, apparently!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found some short round leaved plants growing in the ditch the other day and don't know if they are a type of Watercress or not. They could just be some kind of terrible overtaking weeds or something. Guess I will find out. I stuck a few in-between the rocks around my pond w/ their roots in the water. Here's what they look like:

IMG_5603.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is a pretty plant. Just like dandelions, they are so good for bees, great nectar, great pollen. I have always thought they were pretty, now even more pretty.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
dandelions are healthy for you as well...great in your salad. and the roots aid in weight loss.... dont spray them pull em and eat them... i cant remember their nutritional values but google them.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
dandelions are healthy for you as well...great in your salad. and the roots aid in weight loss.... dont spray them pull em and eat them... i cant remember their nutritional values but google them.

Dandelion greens come loaded with lutein and zeaxanthin, two nutrients important for healthy eyesight. Two cups of dandelion greens -- a serving size that counts as 1 cup of vegetables, under U.S. Department of Agriculture dietary guidelines -- provide 15 milligrams of lutein and zeaxanthin. Both nutrients filter light as it enters your eyes to protect eye tissues from light-induced damage. Consuming at least 12 milligrams combined of lutein and zeaxanthin daily lowers your risk of cataracts and age-related macular degeneration, according to the American Optometric Association

Ask a Question