j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So do you guys eat them regularly roots and all and what do they taste like?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
I actually buy them at our produce store, cuz we have our lawn sprayed so i wouldnt eat them... i cut them up small and mix in my salad.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So they taste ok or do you cut them up small so you don't have to taste too much of them at once? Nothing on our lawn to hurt us. Just wash the bird poo off.................you know there are things out there that do all that kind of stuff out there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I put dandelion greens in our green smoothies - blend them up with some fruit. Delicious! They tend to be a little bitter, but a banana and a handful of berries covers up the taste. So good for you!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
See I knew they tasted terrible! How come all the good stuff tastes not so wonderful?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
bitter doesnt neccessarily mean bad.... cut em small in a salad..your favorite dressing...probably wont even notice them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
When you say greens do you mean just the leaves or the stems and yellow flowers also oh and the roots, do you cut those up for salads too or blend them up in a smoothie or something?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Right! I have found that the more I eat bitter greens, the more I have learned to enjoy them. But it is an acquired taste, especially for those of us who are guilty of living on a diet high in refined sugar who may be trying to change our ways! We all love sweet and salty foods - bitter is the one we have lost the taste for, and those bitter greens are really loaded with healthy properties.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
leaves only is what they sell... so thats what i use.... i guess i could go pick some where i know its not being sprayed. google it.

Reaction score
You can buywatercress cheaply at the grocery store and it will take off in your pond. I'd be wary about getting it in the wild as you don't know what it has taken up out there by way of toxins. It'll hlld on to toxins and pass them to your fisg via the water and when they eat it. It can also be started in a sunnt kitchen window or a greehouse if you've got one. A greehouse is great for those of us who are too far North to overwinter the more tropical plants in our ponds. We built one for less than $200! It's 8X12 and worth every penny!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have watercress in my stream and waterfall pools. We really like it, and my daughter enjoys picking the leaves from time to time and feeding them to her daddy. It does quite well and so far has withstood our hot temperatures (I live in the desert). It started growing like mad this spring. It flowered, seeded, and then died back a little. I cut the stems back that had seeded and turned brown. Now it is somewhat stagnant from the temperatures, I think. But, I hope it will take off again this fall when temperatures ease up.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Update on my watercress- stuck stems into my water planter boxes and it has taken over. used some today to make BLTs. Yum!
BTW' dandelion flowers make the best wine!

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
silly smart phone would not upload photos so went and used the regular camera- I even broke off a couple of pieces and dropped them in the floating plant cage on the other pond and they are growing!

Attachments

• 017.JPG
    017.JPG
    427.1 KB · Views: 328
  • 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 322
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    431.3 KB · Views: 321
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG