Adding watercress

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I am wanting to add watercress to my pond this spring since I have heard raves about it but haven't tried it as of yet. My question is, when it would be safe for me to start it in my pond. The temperatures here in Indiana right now have been averaging around 50's and 60's during the day and around 30's and 40's at night. When would be a good time for me to start it in my pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm in northern Illinois. I was out yesterday doing a little clean up and poking around and discovered the watercress left in the pond over winter is starting to green up. That was a surprise!

I'm not sure I would try starting it until the danger of frost has past, but I will tell you watercress prefers cooler temperatures. Ours started to wane in the hottest days of summer, and then rebounded when the cooler fall days rolled in.

Also, we found watercress grows best in moving water - streams and waterfalls. Find a way to anchor it until it takes hold and you'll be amazed by the growth. It looks really pretty growing over and between rocks. Have fun!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I meant to add it would be a cheap experiment to try it now...we paid $1 for a bunch, which grew to massive proportions. So if you try and it fails, not much will be lost in the experiment!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Lisak1!! That is a great idea. I will try that and let you know how it goes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Good luck! I've been telling everyone that we grew so much watercress last year that this year I plan to harvest and eat it. (It ranks a 1000 on the ANDI scale for nutrient density.) I have a feeling my family will be afraid to eat anything I serve them! (The fish LOVE it, by the way - they're smart little things! When it got overgrown, I would throw a few handfuls into the pond and they gobbled it up!)

Last year I grew tomatoes in the bog... the family looked askance at every tomato I put on the table!

P.S. They were delicious!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I have researched a little on wether or not you can eat watercress that you have growing in your stream bed if you have koi in the pond. Do you think it is okay? My thought is that if as long as it is growig in the flowing water and not where the fish themselves can get to it, it should be fine. I would really like to try eating watercress because I know it is great for you. I am sure it has a good taste and would live the healthy benefits of it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Now I'm considering watercress. I wont eat it, but we can legally take it from the wild in WI, so all I hear is "free plant" :D

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I need to try that watercress again. Mine all died but now I found more out in the wild and will put it in a faster moving water area this time and see it it helps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I had watercress one year awhile back, it grew like crazy. It doesn't over winter here. I'm getting more this year, great little plant. And cheap from the grocers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
my fish love to eat the watercress... I have some stray watercress survive the winter and already starting to grow new leafs, but alas, my fish ate them faster than they grow!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I put watercress in my stream, worked great. It does not over winter. Planning on getting some this weekend at the market

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Okay, an update on watercress. I went to the grocery store and bought some watercres and placed some in the streams of my pond knowing that it was still going to get below the freezing mark. It did wither some but the roots continued. Now that the weather is getting warmer it has came out of the wilted look and starting to grow! So, lisak1, per your suggestion, it worked out just fine!! Thanks!

Ask a Question