Aeration versus water movement

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
When I finally got back to pondering after that hiatus, the bottom half of the pond was pure muck, yet there was no evil smell. Logic would tell us that the water should have been stagnant! As I said, they are all unique. And as a disclaimer, let me just say that I DO NOT guarantee that your water will not smell, or your plants will be healthy after five years of neglect! Find what works for YOUR POND, and go with it!
John
Haro, t! Should have added that we don't have any four-legged pets, but a half-dozen semi-feral felines drink from the pond, as well as a multitude of birds, and the frog population is and always has been stable. I can count around two dozen croakers at any given time.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
This is what happened last time that pond was left to it's own devices... Not going back again. Although I have to admit there was very little green water.

photo2.JPG

Reaction score
There are ponds, and then there are ponds! Each one is different, each is unique. I took the pump out of my pond one fine fall day, and spent the next few years in pain clinics and physio.(Back injury.) The pond had no pump for several years, yet the fish stayed healthy and reproduced, the plants grew and multiplied, and all was well with the world! My point? Your pond will still BE a pond, with or without a pump, with or without an aerator, even with or without FISH! Personally, I'd seriously consider a pump somewhat larger than you think you need, since you are considering getting fish. You can always slow down the flow, but no way in HELL is a 500 gph. pump going to put out 1,000 gph! :(
John
I am always amazed at different pond stories and how they survive just fine when health issues fall on the owner. I have a neighbor who has a few years of cancer set backs and his PREFORM with fish with NO care survived!!!! This was after me spending all winter reading about the all exact ways things need to be done to have a pond. I scratched my head and said, o.k then. Then ya hear about toxic ponds and fish dying left and right. EEkkk.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
The reason I suggested a smaller pump was to save on electric costs now. Sure if she wants to go big in the future she will need a new pump but there will always be a use for the smaller pump too....
No argument from me there, Diesel! I have about a dozen pumps ranging from 80 to 3,000 gph, and they get moved around as needed. But then, I don't the kilowatts, either. Once I can't afford the electricity, the pond will be history! :(
John

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
IKR. I was going to comment about karma playing a part... Then I realized it just makes me look ornery.... So yeah, I guess I had this comin'... Heheeee

Reaction score
Umm, I don't think you have an ornery line in ya at all. Unless ya take out your aggression on you hubby and we don't know about it? I'm out of here, time to pond it on this beautiful 79 degree day!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
hahaha I don't even know what a jiggawatt is. Is that like having a jillion dollars DP?? LOL
My theory is if I don't add up all the expenses... Then there are no expenses...

Ask a Question