Aeration versus water movement

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I know several ponders who have ponds with no waterfall, no pump, no aeration what so ever. They are liner ponds stocked with feeder goldfish. And they are beautiful. Very peaceful and still. Now, that's not to say those ponds are neglected - they still scoop debris and trim plants and use netting as necessary to keep leaves out - they just don't have any water movement. There are all kinds of ponds out there. It all depends on what you want.

@Lisaebetten I think a lot of what you read about ponds and the heavy emphasis on water quality comes from the koi pond side of the hobby. That's a different endeavor than keeping a garden pond, in my opinion.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So then maybe I am asking the wrong question. I guess I need to know what healthy water is? I assume it can have algae but what about smell? I mean what is the difference between a healthy still pond and stagnant water?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So then maybe I am asking the wrong question. I guess I need to know what healthy water is? I assume it can have algae but what about smell? I mean what is the difference between a healthy still pond and stagnant water?

Good question. And again one that I think you will gets a variety of answers to, depending on who you ask. Stink is obviously not desirable, but does it mean it's unhealthy? I've traipsed through some pretty stinky, swampy areas that were teaming with life. We like clear water because it's pretty and we like to see our fish, but "quality" koi are raised in mud ponds. The ponds I've seen without pumps and waterfalls were clear and clean and definitely not stinky. So healthy means different things to different people. I stopped testing my pond water sometime in the first year - it got boring. My fish looked good, the water looked good, the plants looked good so I decided my water was healthy. Am I right? According to me I am!

Here's the thing that has always puzzled me - we hear all about raising koi and water quality and testing and everything that you need to do to maintain that fine balance, so they sound rather finicky and fragile, right? Then we hear that you should NEVER release koi into the wild because they are so dang hardy they will take over the natural waterways and it will be a disaster. So I wonder... which is it? Do we do the things we do for our fish because THEY need it? Or because WE like doing it?

Reaction score
Good question. And again one that I think you will gets a variety of answers to, depending on who you ask. Stink is obviously not desirable, but does it mean it's unhealthy? I've traipsed through some pretty stinky, swampy areas that were teaming with life. We like clear water because it's pretty and we like to see our fish, but "quality" koi are raised in mud ponds. The ponds I've seen without pumps and waterfalls were clear and clean and definitely not stinky. So healthy means different things to different people. I stopped testing my pond water sometime in the first year - it got boring. My fish looked good, the water looked good, the plants looked good so I decided my water was healthy. Am I right? According to me I am!

Here's the thing that has always puzzled me - we hear all about raising koi and water quality and testing and everything that you need to do to maintain that fine balance, so they sound rather finicky and fragile, right? Then we hear that you should NEVER release koi into the wild because they are so dang hardy they will take over the natural waterways and it will be a disaster. So I wonder... which is it? Do we do the things we do for our fish because THEY need it? Or because WE like doing it?
Natural waterways are not stocked at as high of a rate as garden/koi ponds which is why we need to stay on top of the water conditions. Also it's not as much about them being hardy that allows them to take over as it is about laying 1000 eggs at a time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Natural waterways are not stocked at as high of a rate as garden/koi ponds which is why we need to stay on top of the water conditions. Also it's not as much about them being hardy that allows them to take over as it is about laying 1000 eggs at a time.

I would say fish load is one of the most important differences between a koi pond and a garden pond. Keeping the load low (well below what's considered acceptable) and feeding lightly, or even not at all, are key to keeping a garden pond healthy with low or even no filtration.

Many fish lay thousands of eggs at a time. But if I put a tropical fish - say an angelfish or a cichlid - in my neighborhood pond, it could lay a billion eggs - they would all die because they all require the same conditions that are not present in that pond. A koi is a common carp - notoriously tough fish, at least here in the midwest. If I put a koi in my neighborhood pond the outcome would be different.

Reaction score
We have a Koi farmer in town and his ponds are massive. The ponds aren't meant for anything except breeding fish and he has been doing it for 20+ years. So another shock for me to visit at feeding time and the ponds are MUD, MUD. Like ya can't see the GIANT koi until its about 12" from the surface and then it looks like JAWS!!!! No fancy filters, protections from anything and I seriously doubt he tests any water. I wanted about 25 of those cute little ones but knew it was not meant to be!!! His Koi actually dug their own stream and joined another of his ponds together! They love their mud ponds.

Reaction score
I have a pump connected to a waterfall. I recently added an aerator, it has drastically improved the quality of my water. Everything from reduced algae to clarity.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So I guess for me, I don't want the water to stink. I don't have fish so I don't need to see the bottom of the pond. In fact, I'd rather not since I'd see the hoses and the pump and the base for my plants. I'd like it a little less murky and no stink to it. I'm going to try j.w's batting idea this week and see if it helps clear up some of the algae and if not do a pretty hefty water change this weekend. I will probably wait on the additional pump for now but am pretty sure that moving the water will help.
It is in interesting question though.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
So I guess for me, I don't want the water to stink. I don't have fish so I don't need to see the bottom of the pond. In fact, I'd rather not since I'd see the hoses and the pump and the base for my plants. I'd like it a little less murky and no stink to it. I'm going to try j.w's batting idea this week and see if it helps clear up some of the algae and if not do a pretty hefty water change this weekend. I will probably wait on the additional pump for now but am pretty sure that moving the water will help.
It is in interesting question though.
you might consider using a flocculant, along or even without the batting. flocculants bind smaller particles together to settle on the floor or get trapped by your filter. your water will be significantly clearer in just hours.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to definitely have to google that because I don't think it means what I think it means...

Ok it totally doesn't. I will see if Lowe's carry's something like that.

Reaction score
I would say fish load is one of the most important differences between a koi pond and a garden pond. Keeping the load low (well below what's considered acceptable) and feeding lightly, or even not at all, are key to keeping a garden pond healthy with low or even no filtration.

Many fish lay thousands of eggs at a time. But if I put a tropical fish - say an angelfish or a cichlid - in my neighborhood pond, it could lay a billion eggs - they would all die because they all require the same conditions that are not present in that pond. A koi is a common carp - notoriously tough fish, at least here in the midwest. If I put a koi in my neighborhood pond the outcome would be different.
Good point.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
So it's not listed as a flocculant it's a water clarifier? I would think that would help since I have tiny floaties and nothing large enough to scoop out. I will check Lowe's this week.

Ask a Question