Aeration versus water movement

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Koi clay (or montmorillonite clay or bentonite clay) works as a flocculant. It's relatively cheap and easy to use. Anytime I have more floaties than I like to see (you see them more at night in the lights) I'll make a clay slurry and distribute it throughout the pond. And it's good for your fish. That you will have. Soon.

Also - you may want to rethink that big water change - you could just end up re-starting the whole green water cycle. Smaller changes over a period of a few days may be the better option.

Reaction score
So I guess for me, I don't want the water to stink. I don't have fish so I don't need to see the bottom of the pond. In fact, I'd rather not since I'd see the hoses and the pump and the base for my plants. I'd like it a little less murky and no stink to it. I'm going to try j.w's batting idea this week and see if it helps clear up some of the algae and if not do a pretty hefty water change this weekend. I will probably wait on the additional pump for now but am pretty sure that moving the water will help.
It is in interesting question though.
The batting works wonders! I used for collecting the dirt in the water from construction. I also bought the fiber fill stuff and put in a mesh bag, or sown sock! Just because it was way cheaper at JoAnns then the quilt stuff. Hose it off and back it goes for more cleaning.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What is a clay slurry? And thanks, I will do smaller changes although I'm hoping the batting will clear out most of the green over the week. Fingers crossed

Reaction score
The batting works wonders! I used for collecting the dirt in the water from construction. I also bought the fiber fill stuff and put in a mesh bag, or sown sock! Just because it was way cheaper at JoAnns then the quilt stuff. Hose it off and back it goes for more cleaning.
But then again I don't have 1000's of gallons either.

Reaction score
A larger water change will be fine. You will be removing a higher percentage of the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and phosphate that way. If you do smaller changes over a period of days, you are taking out "new" water along with the old. The bacteria that process the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate are not in the water. They do not just float around. Well, maybe a few of them are, but in general, the billions of them doing all the work live on the surfaces of the pond... the liner, the filter etc.

Reaction score
Thanks Lisaebetten. If it works, I will try fiber fill? What is that?
It is in the same section usually, its the stuffing for pillows or stuffed animals or anything else ya wanna cram a poly fiber into!
polyfil_16.jpg

Reaction score
Oh well I wonder if that's what I got then. I just had my daughter pick up a huge bag of fluffy stuff from Wally World. I think it was like $9.
Yep exactly where I got this pic from! The batting is nice because it sticks together better but I made the fluffy stuff work cause I wanted to save the $$$ and was gonna make it happen. Wash it out with a hose when it gets full of color. And you will get tickled every time you see it colorful!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I'm going to try it. It might be a temporary fix until the bog gets going. Everything is trial and error at this point. Mostly error with some trials thrown in for fun. But hey, I'm learning.

Reaction score
I'm going to try it. It might be a temporary fix until the bog gets going. Everything is trial and error at this point. Mostly error with some trials thrown in for fun. But hey, I'm learning.
Wait, What, I really missed something here. Your bog is down? Due to it's dangers to frogs or something else?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It's on a time out for bad behavior.
No but until I get some good plant growth in there, I don't think it's functioning at full filtering capacity yet.

Reaction score
It's on a time out for bad behavior.
No but until I get some good plant growth in there, I don't think it's functioning at full filtering capacity yet.
Don't ya think it might help some to have some water moving and the bog plants feeding from the pond?

Ask a Question