Aerator lines

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Underwaterwharehouse also sells weighted ir diffusers which can do the job as well

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
Can you drill a hole through a rock and thread the line through that?
interesting you should mention that YShahar....I went to the hardware store looking for nuts to string along the line and the man there said to just drill holes in stones...He said all i needed was a masonry bit which I have...When I got home and googled it apparently I also need a hammer drill or a special dremel drill which I don't have...I thought I was going to be able to just use my cordless regular Dewalt drill...So I guess that's out. Great idea though:)
Underwaterwharehouse also sells weighted ir diffusers which can do the job as well
I spent most of the day trying to find an adapter that goes from 3/8" to 3/16" and could not find one anywhere on any site....I will now try Underwaterwarehouse....THANKS!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you have 3/16 than get that hot water I mentioned soak the hose then push it onto the 1/4 inch fitting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
If you have 3/16 than get that hot water I mentioned soak the hose then push it onto the 1/4 inch fitting.
I tried that...I could not get it to work...It is normal aquarium size tubing and when I tried to measure the actual interior dimension it looked to me like 3/16 (which should work as you have said) however that last 16th of an inch split the hose....

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
interesting you should mention that YShahar....I went to the hardware store looking for nuts to string along the line and the man there said to just drill holes in stones...He said all i needed was a masonry bit which I have...When I got home and googled it apparently I also need a hammer drill or a special dremel drill which I don't have...I thought I was going to be able to just use my cordless regular Dewalt drill...So I guess that's out. Great idea though:)

I spent most of the day trying to find an adapter that goes from 3/8" to 3/16" and could not find one anywhere on any site....I will now try Underwaterwarehouse....THANKS!

A lot depends on the type of rock. If it's limestone, you may be able to use your cordless with a masonry bit. Worth a try anyway! The trick is getting the rock to hold still, so that your drill bit doesn't slide off to the side.

I've used rocks with holes for all kinds of things in the pond, including as stands for underwater lights.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I honestly think it's a scam that they don't sell pond aerators WITH weighted lines. I mean, under what circumstances would a weighted line NOT be the better choice, I'm sure it's all about cost, shipping, etc but still - don't sell them with any line at all then and let people make the better choice from the beginning. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
A lot depends on the type of rock. If it's limestone, you may be able to use your cordless with a masonry bit. Worth a try anyway! The trick is getting the rock to hold still, so that your drill bit doesn't slide off to the side.

I've used rocks with holes for all kinds of things in the pond, including as stands for underwater lights.
Thanks for the tip YShahar! I will try if I can find some rocks that are less dense...I miss the workshop I used to have with my vises and drill press, ect...I shed most of my tools moving from the Adirondacks to Virginia and now to this small house with no storage:( I LOVE to tinker.....Might have to add on:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
I honestly think it's a scam that they don't sell pond aerators WITH weighted lines. I mean, under what circumstances would a weighted line NOT be the better choice, I'm sure it's all about cost, shipping, etc but still - don't sell them with any line at all then and let people make the better choice from the beginning. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
I agree...I don't understand it...They sell this size for my pond (900gallons) with no option to change the lines since no one has an adapter to go from 3/8 to 3/16...The hose is so thin that when I soaked it in boiling water it just split as I was trying to push it on 1/4" so that is not an option either. Who wants floating hoses? The only other option is to purchase the one for 1000 gallons to 6000 gallons and it is too powerful for my small pond....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
I agree...I don't understand it...They sell this size for my pond (900gallons) with no option to change the lines since no one has an adapter to go from 3/8 to 3/16...The hose is so thin that when I soaked it in boiling water it just split as I was trying to push it on 1/4" so that is not an option either. Who wants floating hoses? The only other option is to purchase the one for 1000 gallons to 6000 gallons and it is too powerful for my small pond....
Could a couple of small terracotta (or ceramic or decorative) plant pots be strung on the line through the drain hole and let simply sink to hold the line down?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
People say I have rocks in my head others say I have a hole in the head wish someone would make up there mind.

just drill holes in stones
A hammer drill makes short work comparatively to not. But you can still drill a hole in a rock with a standard drill. Slate and blue stone are two easier rocks to drill. It just takes a lot more patience and a little more elbow grease

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
how about slipping your 3/`16 inch hose into a weighted line run the weighted to where you want the air to be

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
how about slipping your 3/`16 inch hose into a weighted line run the weighted to where you want the air to be
Is there anything you can't figure out how to do GBBUDD? That is a great idea...I could probably cut one up into pieces and string it along if I can't thread it through (the air hose that came with it is very flimsy. Thank you for taking the time to come up with a solution.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
People say I have rocks in my head others say I have a hole in the head wish someone would make up there mind.

A hammer drill makes short work comparatively to not. But you can still drill a hole in a rock with a standard drill. Slate and blue stone are two easier rocks to drill. It just takes a lot more patience and a little more elbow grease
hmmm...another option since I have some slate pieces. Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If your weighted line is too hard to push the silicone airline trough take a string and make a ball leaving a tail that is longer than the line. Tie the opposite end to something that can't be pulled through. Take a vaccume hose and use it to suck that ball on the end of the string through the weighted line.
Cut the ball off and tape the string to the end of the airline tape it on there good but don't make it to fat. And then pull the silicone airline through the weighted line. And your done .
I can do that the above mentioned faster than it took to type this out.

Ask a Question