sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
They tell you step by step how to put it together they have a video on youtube but it is useless ,lady just talks about it

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I don't think addy has used one yet.

Here is a picture of the complete unit.
The small white ball at the bottom contains a small pump that pumps water up through a clear tube into the top clear plastic piece. There's a 25 watt heater strip attached to the top clear plastic piece. The water is exposed to the air inside the clear plastic piece and then falls back down inside the unit and re-enters the pond.
The white plastic ball is about 2 feet deep into the pond.

Let me know if you have any questions.

IMG_0496.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I was told at the fish hatchery that in last winter's cold temps, an aerator was the saving factor. I used a small one, in addition to a deicer. I bought a big aerator this summer and it's made a big difference in my water quality and my fish love swimming against it.

I like the idea of suspending it from a pool noodle. My only concern is if I should use the small one or the large one.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Having never used one, this is my understanding..................

The heater is around the tubing going out of the water, there is a small pump that is submersible. The heater keeps the tubing from freezing up. The small pump moves a small current of water through the tube that is going up and out of the pond to be aerated, then that water comes back into the pond. This creates a gentle current of water, with an exchange of gases.

Captureb.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was told at the fish hatchery that in last winter's cold temps, an aerator was the saving factor. I used a small one, in addition to a deicer. I bought a big aerator this summer and it's made a big difference in my water quality and my fish love swimming against it.

I like the idea of suspending it from a pool noodle. My only concern is if I should use the small one or the large one.
I know someone here, MD, that used a large aerator, super chilled the water, killed all his fish. I would stick with the smallest possible that will keep a hole open

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I know someone here, MD, that used a large aerator, super chilled the water, killed all his fish. I would stick with the smallest possible that will keep a hole open
That's the direction I'm leaning towards. I'm afraid the big one wold be too powerful and I don't want to try and divert it etc, and risk something going wrong.

For years I only used my pond de icer, but am glad I used the small aerator last winter. The Farmer's Almanac is calling for another cold winter:(

Reaction score
i bought the tetra pond that has 2 stones sold at menards. clearence now for $30. in summer 1 goes in falls box for bacteria and 2nd on at night in the deepest part for circulation an extra air. winter 1 will go just under the water serface

Reaction score
I will have a heater also but i found one on craigslis for $12. they let me mail a check and then sent it.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What is your budget

I'm really looking for something below $50.

I don't want to super chill the water...On the other hand I don't know if a heater really helps at all with oxygen. Having a hole open is useless if the frogs still die underneath, and aeration is pointless if it makes the water too cold and kills them.... hmm... I can honestly say I have no idea what to do.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I'm really looking for something below $50.

I don't want to super chill the water...On the other hand I don't know if a heater really helps at all with oxygen. Having a hole open is useless if the frogs still die underneath, and aeration is pointless if it makes the water too cold and kills them.... hmm... I can honestly say I have no idea what to do.
Do like I did and suspend the air stone just below the surface of the water. It bubbles at the surface, but isn't moving the warmer bottom water upward like it would if it was placed on the bottom of the pond.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do like I did and suspend the air stone just below the surface of the water. It bubbles at the surface, but isn't moving the warmer bottom water upward like it would if it was placed on the bottom of the pond.

Might be an option, but I wonder if it would make a difference in Wisconsin winter compared to Louisiana winter.

Ask a Question