Aerators

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I have a small shed I call the "pond shack" beside my pond. I trash picked it last year, painted it and put on new hardware. It is not insulated, but has a shingle roof. I have my aerator inside it as well as electrical outlets and timers, so my aerator is protected from the elements but the air would still be cold.

JBtheExplorer, I think pumping 50 degree air from your basement to the pond is a big advantage. BTW the Laguna aerator you provided a link for is similar to what I used last winter, with good results. I'm now using a Hako 60, which is pretty darn powerful. I'd have no concerns using what you put the link to, I'm just stuck on the risk of using my big aerator.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I saw a good aerator that did not make it through last winter and it was not a pretty sight .It was not even a year old and it just got to cold here in VA to have it even in a garage .The cold cracked the case and I guess it damaged something inside .I am not sure if they could have left there garage door open or not .The garage is attached to the house by a breeze way type inclosed porch .That is why I am thinking I may not want to risk my new one .Warranty will not cover it .It says it is supposed to be colder this winter :(scares me

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
I keep my winter aerator pump on a small wooden table on the deck (above water level) in a lidded Rubbermaid box with holes cut out for the electrical and airline. Check valves, check valves, check valves.......a power failure will allow water to creep up the air line.

Last year was the coldest one in my memory (well. what I did spend up here) and I didn't lose a single fish. I went the heater route years ago, but it just didn't seem to do the job. To each his own. The fish that I catch through the ice don't seem to need an aerator (walleye). LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I keep my winter aerator pump on a small wooden table on the deck (above water level) in a lidded Rubbermaid box with holes cut out for the electrical and airline. Check valves, check valves, check valves.......a power failure will allow water to creep up the air line.

Last year was the coldest one in my memory (well. what I did spend up here) and I didn't lose a single fish. I went the heater route years ago, but it just didn't seem to do the job. To each his own. The fish that I catch through the ice don't seem to need an aerator (walleye). LOL
Your set up in your winter climate really interests me. Would you mind sharing a few more details, pond size, how many fish and how low did you suspend your airstones? Thanks!

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pond is roughly 16'x8'x3.5' deep, about 30-40 fish, weighted airline tossed into the bottom of the pond. Wherever it lands is where it stays for the winter. I don't bother suspending them. I simply don't see the point.

Reaction score
Pond is roughly 16'x8'x3.5' deep, about 30-40 fish, weighted airline tossed into the bottom of the pond. Wherever it lands is where it stays for the winter. I don't bother suspending them. I simply don't see the point.
To me, there are a couple reasons. One, putting the air stone in the very bottom creates current down there. The fish won't appreciate that when they are trying to "hybernate" down there. Second, putting it in the bottom brings the water from the bottom that is supposed to be the warmest, up to the top where it cools, so your bottom can never get as warm as it could. Bottom line, i dont put it down at the bottom for the comfort of the fish, or at least that's what makes me feel warm and fuzzy.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
To each his own, Deez. I asked my fish this Spring if they had any recommendations from last winter and......nothing.

In roughly 3200 gallons of water, I don't think that there's much of a current created by a single airstone. In a 3.5' deep pond that's got about 2' or ice on it, it's every fish for himself.

I send them postcards from the Dominican Republic, but only after I'm warm and fuzzy from Gin & Tonics.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Interesting. Sounds like you're using one airstone, which I could do. I'm just wanting to use my bigger aerator, but not if it's dangerous. I may start out with it and monitor the weather and switch over to smaller one if necessary.

I was told at our local fish hatchery, that aeration was essential last winter.

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Interesting. Sounds like you're using one airstone, which I could do. I'm just wanting to use my bigger aerator, but not if it's dangerous. I may start out with it and monitor the weather and switch over to smaller one if necessary.

I was told at our local fish hatchery, that aeration was essential last winter.

Why not just restrict the flow on your larger aerator (hose clamp and Tee it off to reduce the airflow to the stone. Increase the flow if the weather warrants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Why not just restrict the flow on your larger aerator (hose clamp and Tee it off to reduce the airflow to the stone. Increase the flow if the weather warrants.
I'm embarrassed to admit I don't know how to do that!!! Perhaps I should google it:)

morewater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Pretty simple, merely constrict the hose from the pump motor to reduce the amount of air reaching the stone.

If you have a dual-outlet aerator, simply leave one of the hoses off of the aerator motor. This will effectively cut the output in half.

Aerators don't like to get wet. Most failures are due to the filter pad becoming wet, which clogs the bellows system. If you look under most aerators, you'll see a felt "pad", which is used as an air filter to prevent dust and debris from entering the motor housing.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
My filter pad is on the back and so far nice and clean .But I am not using it come winter I will be using a 600 gph pump once I shut the pumps to the waterfalls down and that is usually Jan.

Ask a Question