Air pumps noise

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Any idea how to silence an air pump? It's too loud. Any kind of housing for it that can fix it? It's a small air pump.

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
The old Silent Giant air pumps had the pump mechanism in a plastic case with an intake vent and air filter that was filled with gravel to surround the mechanism and dampen the noise and vibration.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nitto pumps are smaller but are piston driven no diaphragm. Quiet and last a lot longer than diaphragms

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I put mine in a plastic plant pot w/hole in the side for hose to go in and then covered the pot w/a plastic plant drain pan. Mostly I did it to keep it dry but it helps w/noise too.

IMG_5211.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
What kind of pump is it? Is the noise new or has it always been noisy?
to be fair, it is one of these chinese ones, which are quite cheap. always been noisy. but i figured i could enclose it so i cant hear it. haven't had the time though. I hear people put it in a glass jar, then that takes care off it, but not sure.
It cost like 5-6 usd but it works extremely well for my pond. Just the noise is very annoying.

I put mine in a plastic plant pot w/hole in the side for hose to go in and then covered the pot w/a plastic plant drain pan. Mostly I did it to keep it dry but it helps w/noise too.

View attachment 160217
I had mine put in a bowl/bucket thing, to say the least it did not help it only made the problem worse, it made it louder cause of the vibrations. Maybe I just ought to get one of the Pontec air pumps made specifically for ponds, but this been serving me well for over 4 months now, minus the brain numbing noise.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, a cheap pump that works in a pond? Just how noisy is it — I mean that it bothers you at all? When I had aquariums, I would place my pump on a piece of foam. Sometimes the diaphragm needed to be changed.

Do you have it covered at all….to protect it from the elements? Here is a pic of my crude set-up. Pump is elevated on a brick, on top of a ventilated table, with a “fake rock” (with extra holes) secured on top of the table.

If you cover or surround it, be sure to allow for adequate air flow.

Mine is an Aquascape, double output. Works just great and has survived winter freezes, hurricane winds, tornadoes (and flat line winds), as well as a couple summers of 3 digit temps.

IMG_4238.jpegIMG_7419.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Wow, a cheap pump that works in a pond? Just how noisy is it — I mean that it bothers you at all? When I had aquariums, I would place my pump on a piece of foam. Sometimes the diaphragm needed to be changed.

Do you have it covered at all….to protect it from the elements? Here is a pic of my crude set-up. Pump is elevated on a brick, on top of a ventilated table, with a “fake rock” (with extra holes) secured on top of the table.

If you cover or surround it, be sure to allow for adequate air flow.

Mine is an Aquascape, double output. Works just great and has survived winter freezes, hurricane winds, tornadoes (and flat line winds), as well as a couple summers of 3 digit temps.

View attachment 160245View attachment 160246
It works pretty well, I don't think it's necessary but in summer I didn't have as much aeration through splash action so I think it helped. It's not really exposed to elements since pond is next to a balcony and the air pump sits there, so no rain gets to it.

Of course it does not bother me as much now because brain filters it out, but it is very loud that it competes with water splashing and the bubbling from the aeration you can't even hear.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I do have mine sitting on top of a squishy pad thing so maybe that is helping w/the sound but I didn't have much of and issue w/sound anyways as I said I did mine for rain protection. The air pump I bought was a good one tho, AP-40 Danner Pond Aeratior. It is pretty big for my 2500 gal pond but it works great and fish love swimming through the bubbles in the Summer. I turn it off in winter, thinking it would just make the water colder for the fish. I also bought a Matala Diffuser w/9" Air Disk that makes fine tiny bubbles.
It bubble only on one end of the pond so it's not taking up a lot of space w/it's volcanic action :smuggrin:

AP-40 Danner Pond Aerator Pump.jpg

Matala Diffuser with 9 inch Air Disk.jpg

IMG_9273.JPG

IMG_9643 (1200x900).jpg

Ask a Question