Air stone/diffuser question

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Have the same setup as robAmy. Works well, pretty much leave it running all the time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Sometimes a pain as if the tubing gets pulled off the stones the nuts are now on the bottom of the pond!

That's another pet peeve of mine - there's no clamp to keep the air stones attached to the tubing, so if you pull on the line or even catch it with your foot (as I do almost every time I get in the pond) the stone falls off and sinks to the bottom of the pond - wrong side up, no doubt! The same guy who told me to attach rocks to my air stones to get them to land right side up also told me to just keep cutting the line back, as it gets stretched out on the end. Really? Soon the tubing won't even reach the edge of the pond!

I don't like products that aren't well designed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks @Tula for that info and I'll clean mine that way too. No bleach!

@Lisak1 I used stainless steel nuts on my lines. Sometimes a pain as if the tubing gets pulled off the stones the nuts are now on the bottom of the pond! The tubing would still float too and wander as I guess I needed more nuts. Not dealing w/that anymore when this new one arrives! I'm not getting the sinking tubing unless I really need it in the future and I can find it by the foot instead of a big roll. I have a black garden hose I can cut and use that will prolly fit the connection to the diffuser and w/the gravel in there I hope it stays put.
Be careful using a garden hose, as I learned years ago as a camper. Not all garden hoses are created equal. If just watering plants and the lawn that's one thing but many hoses leach a foul taste and in doing so I'd bet it's not the best to use in a fish pond for an extended period of time.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks @GBBUDD I'll give it the taste test and if I like it the fish will have to like it,lol! I grew up drinking out of garden hoses and I'm still alive. I think it's the newer hoses that are worse. This one is ancient. Think it is rubber and not plastic. I've got part of a one in there now that has been in there for quite a long time and no 3 eyed fish :joyful:

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 , @Mmathis I have been using this since beginning of winter. Works very nice, kept a very large hole open in the ice too. I really like the tubing, it is heavy and stays where you put it.

Airmax KoiAir1 Water Garden Aeration Kit, Single Plate

Airmax KoiAir 1 Aeration Kits are flexible and ideal for medium to large sized water gardens and koi ponds between 2,000 and 8,000 gallons. Aeration kits can reduce pond maintenance and improve the health of your fish. Built with an energy efficient dual diaphragm 17-watt compressor, KoiAir 1 Aeration Kit provides maximum circulation and oxygen with 0.80CFM airflow. Kit includes a single diffuser plate with two Teflon maintenance free diffuser sticks, 25 feet of 3/8” weighted airline and a 6’ power cord. Maximum airline and diffuser plate depth is 4 feet. Monthly operating cost is $0.85.

View attachment 109142
Thanks! Although a different brand and color, that pump looks identical to mine (shape and all). I had to get out the calculator to do some simple math — not my forte, LOL — and it looks like yours, at 0.8 CFM is close to the same as mine at 1700 CIM, if not a tad smaller. I do like the double diffuser kit! Will have to check them out to see if the diffusers can be ordered separately.

Ask a Question