Airtube or Airstone?

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Has some PVC pipe laying around so decided to make a airtube for aeration.
Do you think this is better than a airstone? Gives some nice ripples on top.
Also I notice there's less foam this way, I don't know if that's good or bad.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I’ve always heard that a lot of finer bubbles are preferable to larger bubbles. But, now how does that really affect a pond? IDK. If it works, go for it.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I’ve always heard that a lot of finer bubbles are preferable to larger bubbles. But, now how does that really affect a pond? IDK. If it works, go for it.

I thought i heard bubbles don't add oxygen, just forces water upwards. And the ripples or water moment on top is were oxygen is exchanged

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have a 6 way valve, probably use the airstones for night, airtube during the day, or vice versa :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I thought i heard bubbles don't add oxygen, just forces water upwards. And the ripples or water moment on top is were oxygen is exchanged
Same here, but many smaller bubbles...... Again, in a pond, does it really matter — the end result is what matters.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Air stones air bubbles will add o2 to water but only limitedly. surface agitation is the way to go weather it be a stream or waterfall. go to any fish store they all have air bubblers to give the fish enough 02 to survive. Very rarely at least the fish stores I have gone to. AND THAT IS ALOT OF STORES over the last 30 years have fish that are thriving most they just keep them at a point that they survive to sell and them and get them out the door.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Air stones air bubbles will add o2 to water but only limitedly. surface agitation is the way to go weather it be a stream or waterfall. go to any fish store they all have air bubblers to give the fish enough 02 to survive. Very rarely at least the fish stores I have gone to. AND THAT IS ALOT OF STORES over the last 30 years have fish that are thriving most they just keep them at a point that they survive to sell and them and get them out the door.

So airlift tube is the way to go?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
both will clog but as the air stone does it does less as a air lift clugs it pushes out pressure in other areas and forces water up to the surface and pushes it across the surface I tried to find the video on you tube on how to make your own the amount of water that can be pushed for a lot less energy and money is incredible but it will need maintenance basically 4 in pc with 100 holes strategically drilled in very small probably 1 /32 and a 5 in pvc collar over it where you for the air into that place above the holes about 1/8" and a good air pump and it's crazy how much water you can push

Ask a Question