Airstone

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Is it best to have one large airstone in the centre of pond or is it better to separate the air flow into 4 smaller channels, then spread around?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Any reason why? I know one strong airstone will stop the pond from freezing over. Just wondering is it worth it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hmmm... How big would that airstone need to be to keep a hole in the ice? I know that wouldn't work here.

I would spread them out just to keep things moving a bit better in the water column. Aeration rate would likely be the same or close either way.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
My guess is that you will likely get better water circulation when the airstones are spead out... unless your pond is a circle and then a single big one in the center might be ok...

..but... if you are using a skimmer... the air bubbles can interfere (more than help) with the floating trash going to the skimmer... alot of people just have their air pumps on a timer, that turns on at night...

A submersed water pump just pushing water upwards (except not spraying in the air like a fountain) or at an angle towards the water surface will do better at keeping a hole open during the Winter rather than an airstone....

I figure Ireland gets some very cold Winters... you might need to use a floating 1200watt or even a 1800watt floating deicer.... or whatever the equivalent device in Ireland might be...

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Well I don't mean the size of airstone but the flow rate penetrating the one spot. Obviously size of pond counts. I have mild winters in Ireland so lucky there, but crappy summers :(

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
A submersed water pump just pushing water upwards (except not spraying in the air like a fountain) or at an angle towards the water surface will do better at keeping a hole open during the Winter rather than an airstone....

I figure Ireland gets some very cold Winters... you might need to use a floating 1200watt or even a 1800watt floating deicer.... or whatever the equivalent device in Ireland might be...

I was actually thinking about that, just disconnect the fountain and let the water come straight up from the base.

Actually Ireland have very mild winters thanks to the north Atlantic ocean currents. Didn't even snow this year in my location. It can get - 5 Celsius at worst.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have 3 airstones, all centrally located in the pond, but spread out. I think it provides better circulation and it's more gentle for the fish and plants.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
I have one more question, does it really need to be on 24/7?
There's a low frequency sound that translates into the pond even though the pump is good distance away. Hope it doesn't cause stress, I know that sound would drive me nuts.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
We have a timer on our aerator that turns on at dusk and off at dawn.

Ok thanks, I might buy one of those wifi smart plugs. You can control it over the internet, seems pretty cool with timers etc. Also i went ahead and split it into 3 airstones, definitely seems much better.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have one more question, does it really need to be on 24/7?
There's a low frequency sound that translates into the pond even though the pump is good distance away. Hope it doesn't cause stress, I know that sound would drive me nuts.
Do you have plants? If you do, at night the oxygenators will convert to using instead of producing O2 -- which lowers the O2 level and raises the CO2 level. In that case, 24/7 is vital.

I wouldn't think the sound vibrations would be a problem. I don't know exactly what you are talking about as I don't notice anything unusual with my air pump [which is also located a distance from the pond].

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Do you have plants? If you do, at night the oxygenators will convert to using instead of producing O2 -- which lowers the O2 level and raises the CO2 level. In that case, 24/7 is vital.

I wouldn't think the sound vibrations would be a problem. I don't know exactly what you are talking about as I don't notice anything unusual with my air pump [which is also located a distance from the pond].

Planning on getting plants once everything is finished.

Some video from youtube illustrating the sound
. Pretty good airflow just a bit noisy.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I was actually thinking about that, just disconnect the fountain and let the water come straight up from the base.

Yep, there ya go... and maybe attach a small pipe that is only about 6 inches or so below the water surface, so that there is noticeable water flow bubbling, or just barely breaking the water surface.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Holy crap.. I just dodged a bullet. The airstone beside my filter made it buoyant causing the fountain to tilt over and the water to spill out. I just happened to look out my window and notice it was low. I lost 3/4 of my water. If it was a couple of minutes later it would of been bye bye fishes 0,0

Ask a Question