Algae Control 101

KINGART253

KINGART
Reaction score
May I suggest you Google VIRESCO and read about the bacteria that eliminates the causes of String Algae. I use it, but I don't sell it. I can only say that it works well in my ponds.

KingArt

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
you may also want to try barley extract or barley/peat extract, its pretty effective on string algae,all natural,and safe for plants fish and wildlife,start using early in the season and youll like the results,but it wont kill existing algae,it prevents its production.

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
plants only add oxygen during the day in the presence of sunlight. At night, when there is no sunlight, they use oxygen. And, yes, decaying plant matter and fish consume oxygen

Reaction score
cokeisit said:
Improving the oxygen levels in a pond can be done with a pond aerator or even a pond fountain. The infusion of oxygen will invigorate pond bacteria, making them more efficient at their job, while also keeping the pond water circulating (another deterrent to algae growth).

Thanks very much for this information about the O2. I have been concerned the waterfall is not enough so I added a fish spitter, but even that probably isn't enough. So, after reading your advice, I ordered an OASE 450 aerator. I liked it because it came with two aerator heads, the tubing and it runs on 12 volts with a 25 watt transformer.

Our water's pretty green and murky. Since our pond is between 38 and 50 inches deep it makes it hard to see the fish when they're down on the bottom. I can see Oscar and Wilde but they're over 6 inches and white.

We have string algae, the cottony kind that sticks to the walls and the floating kind in the water. I've read that the kind on the sides is beneficial and welcome. Sounds like from Dr. Dave that even the string algae serves a purpose if it isn't out of control.

So, I started off this season by hooking back up the Aquascape UV light. I cleaned the filter and skimmer and did a 15-20% water change w/added declorinator. Then I turned off the UV light for 72 hours while I started a round of Microbe Lift PL and will follow through with the prescribed treatment.

I sure hope the water clears. I'd really rather not use an algaecide so I'm going to try and be patient and see how the combination of Microbelift, aeration, and UV light work.

All the fish are healthy and just starting to be interested in food, although not very. When it warms up a bit we're going to add a few KOI. Right now we have 15 goldfish in a 3000 gallon pond w/a 4700gph pump. Of course, the plants haven't started up yet.

Reaction score
Bacolod City, Negros Occidental, Philippines
Here in the tropics, all of the algae the has been described here was present in my pond one time or another and even ALL AT THE SAME TIME!! No kidding!! I believe that the koi do feed on the ones which cling to rocks or on the pond wall. Lucky for me, the koi seems to be quite tolerant of these algae. The main problem is that I could no longer see them. I have three remedies every time this occurs: 1. Just fill in the pond with new water, allowing it to overflow for 30 minutes; 2. Drain the pond of water till its half empty, then refill it; AND 3. Haul out the koi and clean up the pond. In the latter case, I do not scrape out the string algae; I just wash out the debris and dirt. I wonder if I'm doing the fish some good (or harm) every time I do either of these so-called remedies of mine?

Reaction score
The sides of my pond are covered in string algea. I added liquid barley and was starting to pull some of it off the sides until I noticed several little fry hiding in it. I saw about 50 fry so you know there are hundreds more hiding deeper in it. I think I will just leave it alone so that the babies have a chance to make it!

koden

BrainChildCorp
Reaction score
i found way to rip algea easy..now my pond very clear as crystal ever look in barrel also very clear to see bottom in barrel ..i will show photo if i have camera zzzzz(no kidding)..

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
Now that it's the middle of July, my pond has a good balance to it now. The string algee is gone, and my water is clystal clear. I no longer have that tea colored tint to it.

My pond is a 365 gallon pond, and two weeks ago I installed a twenty seven gallon BIO filter in line just behind my water fall. Since I added the Boi filter there has been a notable change in water quality and how often I have to clear the skimmer / pre-filter.

This forum has been the best source of information for me. All of you ponders are good at sharing the knowledge and tricks at making a man made and controled pond more like nature.

Just wanted to say thank you to DrDave and the rest of you for your help.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Thank you. It is nice to know that our time here is appreciated.

I have recently had reason to question whether or not I am wasting my time. Seems like we have a lot of experts here with little or no experience. Some argue everything that is posted.

Einstein once said “Wisdom is not a product of schooling but of the lifelong attempt to acquire it”.

Patience is a virtue here. Time prevailed with your pond. happy to hear it is doing well.

Reaction score
hang a nylon sack filled with Kitty litter...the cheap stuff from Walmart, red bag, no perfumes or additives just clay, in the waterfall of your pond or where there is moving water. It absorbs the excess nutrients that feed the algae.
I did this and while it hasn't completely eliminated the string algae it does keep it manageable and i get lots of it breaking loose and ending up in the skimmer where it is easy to clean out

oldmarine

Married 32 years
Reaction score
After you have used the nylon sock with kitty litter in it for long peroid of time, couldn't you recycle that litter by using it in a potting medium to access the nutrients in it?

FredrikAnderson

Koi Herder
Reaction score
I have noticed in the last few days a lot of string algae growing on the walls of my pond. It looks like this:
molding003.jpg

I just got passed a algae boom in there ( I moved my water lettuce into the top of my skippy and it went from almost pea soup to clear in about a day and a half). Now I like the idea of the string algae on the walls and other surfaces because I used a hot tub shell as my liner and this will be wonderful camouflage for it. I have also noticed that the string algae is forming on the roots of my floating plants and am wondering if I should be concerned?

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
no reason for concern it will grow on any availble surface, roots, stems, undrside of leaves, etc.. fish like it and it too shall pass! plus its feeding on the same nutrients as the green water alge.too!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
String algae is your friend and the Koi love it too. Koiguy is right, it will pass on it's own. If it gets too thick in areas, just reach in and wrap it around your hand and pull it out. Don't worry about what is left behind, it becomes salad for the next meal.

Ask a Question