Algae Control 101

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
fish waste, decaying plant matter and such settle between the rocks and can become septic...it builds up and depending on your fish load can be a real nuisence to clean. in general it makes maintaining water quality more difficult. if you gotta have them.. just keep your fish numbers low!!

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
The only place for rocks is where there is sufficient current or gravity to keep it clean. KoiGuy hit it right on the head.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
it will develope naturally...but you can buy bottled beneficial bacterial suppliment products as well....i have used ORGANICA Pristine Pond with good results. Microbelft, TetraPond, jungle, and many other companies make them.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
oh...and at this time of year its likely theres little if any active bacteria in your pond. the cold kills and / or makes them dormant. i dont know how those Georgia winters are, but in water under 50* most are already inactive, under 45* theres virtually none active.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Does anyone know a good Internet-based Pond Supply Company with good prices on filters, uv lights, bacteria and other supplies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
thanks, I'll check it out. what do you think of uv systems for ponds, koiguy? is that going to help me with my frothy floating bubbles problem? or should I just put in a bio-filter and bacteria to start with?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't a uv and don't have frothy bubbles either, just a big bio filter. The uv is more to get rid of that floating small green algae that makes the pond water look green.

I would suggest a bio filter or a fines filter first, it sounds more like you have docs like they said above.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have always shopped around on the net and bought everything from there. My pump, skimmer, filter falls, liner all came from different places. Best price got my business.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
build your biofilter...theres several build threads in the DIY ( do it yourself) forum here. i have 2 builds there. 1, 55 gal drum, & 1, 70 gal stocktank build. they both perform excellant...the stocktanks are easy to hide right at the ponds edge as a waterfall filter basin. the 55 gals are taller, so arent as easy to hide, but still work great . so if you can hide it behind a privacy fence or a tall bush or two. great. U.Vs are one way to keep your water from greening up with single cell algea. and nice to have but not a neccessity...you can run them for a couple weeks in the spring as the water starts to green.when the waters clear. turn it off for the season. i dont use one anymore but liked the one i had. it was a 9 watt tetrapond from Lowes...under $100.00...kept my pond crystal clear. building your own filter is cheaper and they perform as well if not better than most store bought filters costing more!

Ask a Question