Algae control in a pond with outflow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 130ft x 45ft oval shape pond that has an inflow and outflow. With the outflow, I can't use algae sides.

Are there any solutions to controlling the algae in the spring and summer months without algae sides?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I'm giving thought to using a little pond dye, as it's supposedly effective with filamentous algae. Let me know if you try it and it works.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
fishwelcome.gif
@ashmr

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum! What is the inflow? Stream, runoff? Natural area or farm/built up? What kind of algae?

As far as I know, tough to do without chemicals unless you have a large marshy area to help reduce the nutrients feeding the algae; especially if you are dealing with nutrient rich runoff.

Would a dye be acceptable? https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/using_aquatic_dyes_in_ponds#:~:text=Dyes are found to be,not considered harmful to wildlife.

I believe it is a stream. The property/neighborhood is at the top of a hill. The pond is on a 5 acre property but I am not sure if it is man made or natural. It is mostly the nasty thin stringy algae.

I am open to trying to use dye. Never really thought about using it because of the outflow. Wouldn't it all just run out before it worked effectively?

JRS

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Wouldn't it all just run out before it worked effectively?
Very possibly if there is any kind of volume. What is the purpose of the pond, fishing, swimming? Perhaps no easy solution for your situation. Managing nutrients is essential if you cannot kill it directly. Hard to do if you cannot control the inflow or add a large planted area or other plants that can outcompete the algae. That leaves physical/mechanical control.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The float is not heavy. It takes a bit of time for the water to flow out.

We can plant large planted areas. Its private property.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Might there be fertilizer from the neighborhood running off into it? That would cause overgrowth of algae.

Very possible there are several large properties in the area. Especially with horses.

Ask a Question