Algae in bog

Reaction score
Country
United States
We planted our 10ft x 8ft bog with some plants a few weeks ago and the water in our 2000 gallon pond is crystal clear. I have noticed that in a remote corner of the bog, some algae starting to show up. This particular area is one of the only spots without a plant within a couple feet. Is this normal? If I plant something in the algae, will the algae die off?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I am the odd duck....but regularly have algae in my bog. Plants are growing fast, so I'm hopeful :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I too get algae in the bog; with enough fast growing plants, it'll disappear. Think of algae in your bog as just another plant helping take out the nitrates in your pond!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Contrary to how we all feel about algae , but it is a sign your pond is heading in the right direction. Algae is not all bad but more unsightly until it is so much it starts to choke out the pond. so a little in a new bog is perfectly normal and even expected.

Ask a Question