Algae on rocks

Reaction score
We set up our pond about a month or so ago and had a bad algae problem :sad: . We got it under control and the water is clear but the rocks are still green. How do we get rid of the algae on them :question: ? Or does it go away in time :question: ?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have in the past and so has sissy, taken hydrogen peroxide and sprayed the rocks, let it sit for awhile, it will kill the algae on the rocks.

Turn off the water flow. I have not done here, it was my arizona water fall rock tower, would grow algae. Will see if I can find her post on how long she let it sit.

pinon ponder

S'cuse me, while I kiss the sky!
Reaction score
Hi! Where are the rocks? On the bottom? If so, cleaning the algae off of them will be a constant chore. And some algae is expected on rocks on the pond shelves, especially below the water line.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi! Where are the rocks? On the bottom? If so, cleaning the algae off of them will be a constant chore. And some algae is expected on rocks on the pond shelves, especially below the water line.

opps didn't even think of that, was thinking waterfall rocks! sorry!

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
If you have fish they would like to have a little algae to browse on during the day

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I get this horrible brown algae every spring on my waterfall rocks. I throw a few apple snails in the pond and it no time the rocks are spic and span. Then the raccoons come to eat the snails, but by then the rocks are clean!

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes the look of algae on the rocks? I think it make things look more natural, but if you are talking about rocks on the bottom of the pond you might have other unseen issues, especially if you have fish. But to answer your question, it is almost impossible to keep algae from growing on the rocks without doing regular cleanings to them. As far as snails, I dont know but I have heard ther can breed like wild, and who in there right mind would want a racoon coming around there pond? Think about it. Unless you have no fish then go for it.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I don't mind algae on the rocks, have a little. I did put trapdoor snails in the pond, see them off and on, still have algae on the sides and bottom, the fish enjoy eating it, the fry, when small, hid in it.
I really have not seen many snails, (the small ones) think the fish keep them cleaned up.

I am too lazy/busy to worry about cleaning algae off of pond rocks....lol

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I don't mind some algae but it just looks like we have green rocks. The rocks are in the more shallow area and on the side's.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Everything in Washington is green so we are used to it here and I don't mind it. Think it is a sign of healthy water and fish love it. Sure is slippery tho on the pond shelves and bottom!

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Am I the only one who likes the look of algae on the rocks? I think it make things look more natural, but if you are talking about rocks on the bottom of the pond you might have other unseen issues, especially if you have fish. But to answer your question, it is almost impossible to keep algae from growing on the rocks without doing regular cleanings to them. As far as snails, I dont know but I have heard ther can breed like wild, and who in there right mind would want a racoon coming around there pond? Think about it. Unless you have no fish then go for it.

Nope, you're not. I like the look, too. A friend commented on the clear water but algae on the sides of the pond and some rocks. I said it's a pond, not a swimming pool. :razz:

Kitty, if you think you have too much algae, maybe you need more plant coverage or more fish to eat the algae, or both. :)

J.W., we need to come up with some non-slippery type of pond shoes. Anti-Algae thongs? :dunno:

pinon ponder

Reaction score
Ooohhh, I :luxlove: the aqua runner water shoes. I wonder how long they would stay that color after muckin around in the algae. lol

That reminds me, I had some really neat croc thongs that I bought in Kauai. I used them when I had to get in the old pond. But they were black, and I left them in the sun - and they shrunk! Curled up at the toes and could never get them back in shape. I'll have to find another pair because they worked well and were easy to take on and off.

Ask a Question