green algae on rocks - how to

Reaction score
i noticed on some garden ponds nice bright green algae growing on the walls and the rocks. is there any trick to making that happen. seems that the only algae i can grow is string algae from time to time.

Reaction score
Just a different species. There are 100's, maybe 1000's of different species. Kind of like a garden, if you pull out the species you don't like it might give a species you do like a chance take off. But it's hit and miss. Can't buy seeds for these things. I've tried propagating algae and I had no luck. Harder than it would seem.

And even if you do get a species you like it probably won't last more than a few years. I don't know if other species takes over or the short species turns into a long species at some point. Hard to tell.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
is it algae or could it be moss you are looking at .I put some moss in a blender with buttermilk and mix and just brush it on and keep in shade and moist and it grows .Algae just comes and no stopping it .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I have done the buttermilk mix also , you still need time and moisture.
130323_0006_zpsa5443d1f.jpg

130323_0009_zpsd3b1bbd3.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
nice moss though and worth the time and energy .Is yours in full sun there or mostly shade .I would think the waterfall helps keep it moist .I see high sun on your top rock there .

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
The waterfall moss faces NE , The squirter rock is east, A tree shades it in the summer

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got moss growing around my guest house and in the woods but can't grow it by my pond to much sun :sad: .I love the way it looks though .None of my trees have gotten big enough yet to shade much of anything .I wish the developer had not cut down all the trees before i bought the lots .He could have chose to keep a few as I saw pics of my lots and there were some nice big maples on it besides all the scrub pines .But he stripped it bare and I put back over 30 trees so far .

Ask a Question