Algae Sucker

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I found my Pleco last night, glad to see it doing well since I have not seen it in about a month (Very good at hiding). It has grown since the last time I saw it and I don't even feed it?! I guess it's content with Drift wood and algae lol
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:3565]

Reaction score
Country
United States
My plecos really enjoy zucchini, leaf lettuce, frozen blood worms and algae wafers as well as any food I feed the goldies

I think it's a misconception that they will only eat algae and don't need to be fed.

Reaction score
I got 4 little ones about 3 months ago, I don't know if they will make it when the weather gets cold? I have only seen one a few times, they hide so well. I have a small little submersible pump that I usually leave running. Three times now, I have seen one of the Plecos sitting on the pump. Does it like the vibration? or maybe it is warm? Just wondered.

Reaction score
Your lucky out there in FL. I have a friend who has a 1000 gal here in NY. He has a pleco, garr, aroanna, and a couple Oscars and ciclids. But in fall he has to get rid of them before it gets too cold. I soo want one but the best I can get to keep in mine is a chanel cat. yours looks great good luck with him.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks ya'll, That's what I was thinking, if it got too cold then I could see the Pleco sticking to the sides of the Pump since it put off little heat. Maria, I will try some lettuce out, I know he does not dare touch the Goldfish and Koi food, the goldfish seem scared of him but the koi don't care lol

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yea, My pleco would be right there eating with the goldfish at dinner time. He wasn't gonna be left out lol

In a tank I would use a feeding clip to hold the lettuce in place but in a pond you can use a rock/stone to hold it down. Some people will even rubberband the food to a rock or piece of wood to make it easier for them to graze.

Ask a Question