sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
trying to look at your pic closer but you still going to use the water fall .I think the way you did it that it turned out nice and you could always put the bog up there and let the water flow into the pond maybe .Not sure how bogs work but that would make a really neat look if you could do it .All the plants up above looking all pretty .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
sissy,
My understanding of a bog pond (in short) that the water is pump through a pipe near the bottom. The water flows through a layer of rocks or lava rock and then pea gravel and then through the roots of plants of your choosing. Here are a couple of pictures of what I think it would, should, might look like when completed. I believe it will look more natural. I would most likey have some sort of water celery with some ribbon grass and back by some water iris. This is just my initial thinking. The local fish farm suggested that I do this a long time ago, but I had already invested in the skippy filter and wanted to give it a try.
Sorry for the poor photo-shop work

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 234
  • Slide3.JPG
    Slide3.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 233
  • Slide4.JPG
    Slide4.JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 274
  • Slide5.JPG
    Slide5.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 290

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Addy has one on here and guessing she was the first one with one .I just like the way they look as yes they are more natural which in my case does not matter as pond does not really look natural ,but thinking in a way I have a skippy bog as I have lava rock on the bottom and plants on the top .I have a skip bog .My water comes in the top and goes down threw the quilt batting to pick up all the finer stuff and then comes back up through the center 3 inch pipe and then back out to the pond .I am going to increase the size of that filter to a tank i bought that is oval .It says 50 gallons on it to a mark on the tank but guessing more like 60 gallons .I am going to put 2 tank adapters on it and a 3 inch pipe on each one .This way I will have more room for plants next year .Elephant ears ,grasses ,lotus and some water lettuce and hyacinth .This way I have tall and short and maybe a spiller plant or two .That will hang over the sides of the tank to hide it .

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I just have pea gravel in my bog, pvc feeding the water into the bottom, it flows up and out into the pond. Tons of plants. Works great.

Your photoshop work looks great btw.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What I was wondering is if the water is coming from above it would still work as good or would the water flow to fast .But guessing since my filter tanks are basically like a mini bog with all the plants in them is just about the same thing in a way .I turned the drains on my filters after all summer and nothing but clear water came out no muck build up ,so thinking the plants just sucked it up .That is why I am going to put the bigger stock tank up there so it can hold even more plants and just turn the pump up on that filter tank .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
After doing some additional research, I am 99% sure that I am going to bog pond route. I will be planning it out and any educational information would be helpful.

addy1, do you have any pictures of your bog pond? Before, during and after pics would be great if you have them.

Thanks

Don

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
You can check out you tube I saw a really neat one on there with the bog above the ground and they had an elephant statue .You will need to find an elephant in Ohio ,sure will make the neighbors look twice :LOL:

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
After doing some additional research, I am 99% sure that I am going to bog pond route. I will be planning it out and any educational information would be helpful.

addy1, do you have any pictures of your bog pond? Before, during and after pics would be great if you have them.

Thanks

Don

Take a look at my build thread, here are some pictures of my build for you.

http://www.gardenpon...-started-42110/

before

viewfromdeck.jpg

during

DSC00981.jpg

pond.gif

DSC01054.jpg

hole is dug

DSC01176.jpg

DSC01154a.jpg

38000 lbs of pea gravel, most of it went into the bog, some to a path

DSC00146.jpg

liner going in

DSC00057.jpg

pea gravel, and piping in the bog

DSC00219.jpg

new bog just filled pond, no fish

DSC00322.jpg

this year, anti heron chicken wire lol

DSC03385.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
addy1,
Very Very Nice! What a transformation. I can appreciate all your hard work. But I am sure that it is well worth it.
I am 100% building a bog filter. I am in the planning stages now and hope to start soon.

Ask a Question