Algaecide and trap-door snails

Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 700 gallon koi pond and placed 5 trapdoor snails in the pond this summer. I use a UV light for algae control and also occasionally use a algaecide. Does anyone know is there algaecide that's safe for snails? I currently have tetra pond algae control but haven't used it since buying the snails.

Reaction score
I haven't use any algecide since I got them. As I stated above. But the pond is starting to get over run with algae. I wanted some advice on what I could use.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Toilet bowl brush and a little peroxide where algae is at will help .But most times hand removal is easest .Algaecide can stay in ponds for awhile .But most you have to test your water as there must be something feeding the algae .You may be feeding the fish to often and there are lots of nutrients in the water feeding the algae .You may need a better filter

JohnHuff

I know nothing.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
Kyrgyzstan
If your pond is getting overrun with algae it means you've got a lot of nutrients in the water. Are you feeding too much or not doing enough water changes? Using algaecide is bad for the pond and is just covering up the problem. It's best to fix the problem which is causing too much algae.

Reaction score
I'm no expert at all, but after using this algecide and that algecide I did a lot of reading threads here and resorted to using a UV light and plants. I personally believe adding plants to your pond has the most benefit as well as adding aesthetic value. I put water hyacynths in on one side in early summer and they spread and grew to about 18' tall. I also put impatiens along the edges with their roots anchored in gravel and surprisingly they did very well. Bloomed all summer.

Reaction score
Craig, I have green water problem this year also. I just let it be this year :) I saw you have a lot of Water Hyacinth and Water Lettuce. I did had some last year filled in my bog area. What I have noticed last year is their old leaves keep melting(?) and I finally gave up on them. I have pagoda above my 2500 G pond which was build 3 years ago. I think 50 or 60 % of shade is important also. This summer, I covered top and 3 sides of Pagoda with 70% shade cloths. We will see how they will do next year.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This thread is 3 years old....
You know, this isn't the first post I've noticed recently where the poster is listed with an old "date of joining," but with only 1 message listed. It seems odd that a person who joined the forum in 2012 is just NOW posting his/her 1st message......

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You know, this isn't the first post I've noticed recently where the poster is listed with an old "date of joining," but with only 1 message listed. It seems odd that a person who joined the forum in 2012 is just NOW posting his/her 1st message......

You would be surprised at how many members of most forums are 'lurkers'. For one reason of another they just do not post. Occasionally, one will come out of the shadows and post a comment.
Does anyone know what the current Forum membership is?

Ask a Question